From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] world favorites: pros and cons
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 12:28:01
1 On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 14:11:44 +0300, Daniel wrote:
2
3 > Your replies make me feel I haven't done wrong trying to put every
4 > single package in the world set.
5
6 In fact you've completely broken the concept of a world set of packages
7 on your Gentoo system. World should contain only those packages you want
8 to use, not their dependencies. Now portage has no idea of which packages
9 are there because you want them, which are there because they are
10 dependencies of something you want and which are redundant cruft installed
11 as a dependency of a package you no longer have installed.
12
13 On your system, your packages, their dependencies and the cruft are all
14 considered part of world.
18 Neil Bothwick
19
20 Found my .sig, it was in behind the cushion on the settee.