From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Question about xorg and a kill process
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 14:16:38
1 On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 10:03, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hung Dang wrote:
3 >> I often use Ctrl+F1 to F6 to back to the command line and if your X is
4 >> fine you can back the X screen using Ctrl+F7. Or if you want to kill
5 >> your X then Ctrl+Alt+Backspace may be helpful.
6 >>
7 >> Hung
10 >> Dale wrote:
11 >>> I know the subject is a bit lacking but here goes.  I'm thinking about
12 >>> trying this xorg-server upgrade again.  I been thinking about a way to
13 >>> do this and not have to pull the plug on my rig if it fails, which I bet
14 >>> it does.  This is the command I am thinking about trying.
15 >>> /etc/init.d/xdm start && sleep 5m && /etc/init.d/xdm stop
16 >>>
17 >>> I'm thinking this way.  Start X first.  If it fails, it will stop in 5
18 >>> minutes and come back to a console.  Think this will work?  If xorg
19 >>> works, I can switch back to a console and ctrl C the command and
20 >>> carry on.
21 >>>
22 >>> Thoughts?  Better ideas?
23 >>>
24 >>> Dale
25 >>>
26 >>> :-)  :-)
27 >>>
28 >
29 > That won't work because if xorg-server fails, my keyboard doesn't work
30 > when I switch to X.  If the keyboard doesn't work, I can't switch back
31 > to anything or type anything.
32 >
33 > I done been through this one time.  I'm trying to figure out how to get
34 > back to console with a keyboard that doesn't work at all.
37 Best way to do this is using a remote shell (SSH for example) in
38 another machine. If that's not an option or X driver fails in
39 conflicts with the kernel (mine did before I found a suitable config)
40 then you're pretty much lost, cause your video is gone for good.
41
42 You can try SYSREQ combinations to kill the server and if that fails
43 even cleanly reboot the rig, but as I said before, depending on the
44 problem your video is gone.
47 Daniel da Veiga