From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Question about xorg and a kill process
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 13:03:41
1 Hung Dang wrote:
2 > I often use Ctrl+F1 to F6 to back to the command line and if your X is
3 > fine you can back the X screen using Ctrl+F7. Or if you want to kill
4 > your X then Ctrl+Alt+Backspace may be helpful.
5 >
6 > Hung
9 > Dale wrote:
10 >> I know the subject is a bit lacking but here goes. I'm thinking about
11 >> trying this xorg-server upgrade again. I been thinking about a way to
12 >> do this and not have to pull the plug on my rig if it fails, which I bet
13 >> it does. This is the command I am thinking about trying.
14 >> /etc/init.d/xdm start && sleep 5m && /etc/init.d/xdm stop
15 >>
16 >> I'm thinking this way. Start X first. If it fails, it will stop in 5
17 >> minutes and come back to a console. Think this will work? If xorg
18 >> works, I can switch back to a console and ctrl C the command and
19 >> carry on.
20 >>
21 >> Thoughts? Better ideas?
22 >>
23 >> Dale
24 >>
25 >> :-) :-)
28 That won't work because if xorg-server fails, my keyboard doesn't work
29 when I switch to X. If the keyboard doesn't work, I can't switch back
30 to anything or type anything.
31
32 I done been through this one time. I'm trying to figure out how to get
33 back to console with a keyboard that doesn't work at all.
34
35 Dale
36