From: Remy Blank <remy.blank@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: SSH brute force attacks and blacklist.py
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 20:25:33
1 Steve wrote:
2 > I'm one of the (many) people who has opportunists trying usernames and
3 > passwords against SSH... while every effort has been made to secure this
4 > service by configuration; strong passwords; no root login remotely etc.
5 > I would still prefer to block sites using obvious dictionary attacks
6 > against me.
7
8 The best advice I can give is to use public key authentication only.
9 This will defend against all dictionary-based attacks, which is what you
10 describe.
11
12 The only remaining "problem" is that your log files will be filled with
13 unsuccessful login attempts. A simple solution is to run sshd on a
14 non-standard, high-numbered port, e.g. in the 30'000. Bots only ever try
15 to connect on port 22. This will *not* improve the protection of your
16 server, but it will avoid having your logs spammed.
17
18 -- Remy