From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: SSH brute force attacks and blacklist.py
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 09:43:57
1 On Wednesday 27 February 2008, Remy Blank wrote:
2
3 > Steve wrote:
4 > > I'm one of the (many) people who has opportunists trying usernames
5 > > and passwords against SSH... while every effort has been made to
6 > > secure this service by configuration; strong passwords; no root
7 > > login remotely etc. I would still prefer to block sites using
8 > > obvious dictionary attacks against me.
9 >
10 > The best advice I can give is to use public key authentication only.
11 > This will defend against all dictionary-based attacks, which is what
12 > you describe.
13 >
14 > The only remaining "problem" is that your log files will be filled
15 > with unsuccessful login attempts. A simple solution is to run sshd on
16 > a non-standard, high-numbered port, e.g. in the 30'000. Bots only ever
17 > try to connect on port 22. This will *not* improve the protection of
18 > your server, but it will avoid having your logs spammed.
19
20 Agreed. For me, changing the port SSH listens on alone eliminated 99% of
21 brute force attempts.
22
23 I also agree on public key authentication. Depending on the OP's needs
24 and context), he might also be interested in portknocking (no flames
25 please :-)).
26 --
27 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list