From: Andrew Kirilenko <icedank@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Should emerge --sync be so slow?
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 14:51:54
1 Hello!
2
3 On Thursday 20 October 2005 03:26, Richard Fish wrote:
4 > Alex Bennee wrote:
5 > >As my system has become more lived in I've noticed the time taken to
6 > >update the cache at the end of an emerge --sync is getting slower and
7 > >slower. The system will hang around 50% for a long time and thrash the
8 > >crap out of the disks.
9 > >
10 > >Is this just usual behaviour for portage? Is there anyway to flush the
11 > >cache files and start again with a clean emerge --sync?
12 >
13 > Well, you could try this:
14 >
15 > http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_speed_up_portage_with_cdb
16 >
17 > Several people here (including me) are using this without any bad effects.
18 >
19 > You might also consider putting /usr/portage on it's own filesystem.
20 > That would keep the disk accessed confined to a small portion of the
21 > disk. The size should be 1-3G depending upon whether you keep distfiles
22 > and packages on the same filesystem or not.
23
24 I do have portage on the separate partition, but this caching process is
25 _DAMN_ slow. I remember times when it was really, really fast. WTF?
28 > -Richard
29
30 Best regards,
31 Andrew.