From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Should emerge --sync be so slow?
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 23:30:08
1 Alex Bennee wrote:
2
3 >As my system has become more lived in I've noticed the time taken to
4 >update the cache at the end of an emerge --sync is getting slower and
5 >slower. The system will hang around 50% for a long time and thrash the
6 >crap out of the disks.
7 >
8 >Is this just usual behaviour for portage? Is there anyway to flush the
9 >cache files and start again with a clean emerge --sync?
13 Well, you could try this:
14
15 http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_speed_up_portage_with_cdb
16
17 Several people here (including me) are using this without any bad effects.
18
19 You might also consider putting /usr/portage on it's own filesystem.
20 That would keep the disk accessed confined to a small portion of the
21 disk. The size should be 1-3G depending upon whether you keep distfiles
22 and packages on the same filesystem or not.
23
24 -Richard
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list