From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Transcoding movie DVD to MPEG4?
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 19:38:54
1 On Sunday 03 December 2006 19:19, Stroller wrote:
2 > On 3 Dec 2006, at 19:03, Stroller wrote:
3 > > On 3 Dec 2006, at 15:31, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 > >> On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 13:28:42 +0000, Mick wrote:
5 > >>> I want to copy a movie from a DVD which I bought in a shop, to
6 > >>> another
7 > >>> DVD to take with me on holiday. I'll be playing back the copy on my
8 > >>> laptop and (if it is feasible) the hotel's DVD player.
9 > >>
10 > >> If you want to be able to play it on a standard DVD player, you
11 > >> need to
12 > >> transcode it into MPEG2, the format used by DVDs, at a lower
13 > >> bitrate...
14 > >
15 > > Since Mick has dual-layer DVDs he could even copy it ay the same
16 > > bit-rate. He is experiencing problems because his DVDs are region-
17 > > encoded & he has not decrypted them.
18 >
19 > Ooops! My apologies.
20 >
21 > Having read the previous thread I see that the problem is actually
22 > 1/2way through burning.
23 >
24 > Although I'm not clear whether or not Mick has de-regionalised his
25 > movies, my comments are nevertheless incorrect.
26
27 Thanks Stroller, I have not intentionally 'de-regionalised' the movie.
28 However, I can:
29
30 - Play them straight from the DVD drive with mplayer/xine.
31
32 - Rip an iso of the DVD onto the hard drive, mount it and play any *vob files
33 in it with mplayer/xine.
34
35 - Use mencoder and turn each *.vob file on the hard drive into an *.avi,
36 which I can thereafter play.
37
38 What I can't do is save the DVD, or its iso onto a DVD+R DL.
39
40 On the other hand if the quality loss is not that great and helps me save them
41 on single layer (cheaper) re-writable DVDs, I don't mind transcoding them to
42 a different lossy format.
43 --
44 Regards,
45 Mick