From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Boot situation
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 20:57:12
1 On Sunday 09 September 2007, Colleen Beamer wrote:
2 > Thanks Alan,
3 >
4 > Whew! You gave me a lot to respond to and it will take a bit of time
5 > since I have to run between two computer.
6
7 :-)
8
9 [snip Media Direct stuff]
10
11 > Truthfully, I'm not sure what it does. I have never had a computer
12 > with that button either and I don't have Windows on the laptop - I
13 > installed Gentoo right away. All I know is that when I hit that
14 > button thinking that I had hit the power button and walked away, the
15 > splash screen with "Dell Media Direct" was displayed.
16
17 Google found this:
18
19 http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/mediadirect.htm
20
21 So it's a mini-OS type of thing to play media. It hides itself and does
22 other weird stuff so I'm not surprised it went ballistic on your
23 partition table...
24
25 I'd advise you to go into the BIOS setup screen at the next boot and see
26 if there's a way to switch it off or disable it
27
28 [snip steps taken to fix stuff]
29
30 All those steps look correct proper and fine with the expected results
31
32 [snip]
33
34 > > The output of e2fsck, run on each of your filesystems
35 >
36 > e2fsck for both sda1 (boot) and sda4 (home) come back clean
37 >
38 > Output from e2fsck for /dev/sda3 is:
39 >
40 > Pass
41 > 1 Checking inodes, blocks and sizes
42 > 2 Checking Directory Structure
43 > 3 Checking Directory connectivity
44 > 4 Checking Reference counts
45 > 5 Checking Summary information
46 >
47 > /dev/dsa3: 437650/4889248 files (4.3% non-contiguous) 2203865/9767520
48 > blocks
49
50 /me scratches head wondering what could it be...
51
52 You might have an incorrect kernel config, with the filesystem or disk
53 drivers not compiled in anymore. Could you post the output of lspci,
54 plus your config? Use 'zcat /proc/config > /path/to/some/file' and
55 attach it so we are sure we have the right one
56
57 What version and USE flags are you using for grub?
58
59 MediaDirect *might* have done weird things to your BIOS setup, it's
60 worth a try to make a note of all current settings, then reset
61 everything to default and try once more. Long shot, but I've seen
62 stranger things...
63
64 > Anyway, let me know what else you need (besides maybe contents of
65 > fstab and grub.conf
66 >
67 > Although the fstab and grub.conf are exactly what they were before
68 > hitting that damned "Media Direct" button.
69
70 If they are the same then there's no real need to go further down that
71 route. For the record, your boot stanza will have minimally something
72 like this:
73
74 root (hd0,0)
75 kernel /vmlinuz ro root=/dev/sda3 console=/dev/tty1
78 alan
82 Optimists say the glass is half full,
83 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
84 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
85
86 Alan McKinnon
87 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
88 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
89 --
90 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list