From: Colleen Beamer <colleen.beamer@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Boot situation
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 03:31:47
1 Hi,
2
3 I'm still struggling with this situation
4
5 Alan McKinnon wrote:
6 > On Sunday 09 September 2007, Colleen Beamer wrote:
7
8 > Google found this:
9 >
10 > http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/mediadirect.htm
11 >
12 > So it's a mini-OS type of thing to play media. It hides itself and does
13 > other weird stuff so I'm not surprised it went ballistic on your
14 > partition table...
15 >
16 > I'd advise you to go into the BIOS setup screen at the next boot and see
17 > if there's a way to switch it off or disable it
18
19 I tried this, but couldn't find a way to switch it off.
20
21 > You might have an incorrect kernel config, with the filesystem or disk
22 > drivers not compiled in anymore. Could you post the output of lspci,
23 > plus your config? Use 'zcat /proc/config > /path/to/some/file' and
24 > attach it so we are sure we have the right one
25
26 I don't know what you are talking about here. First, I can't boot from
27 the hard drive, so where do you want me to do lspci? From the chroot'd
28 environment? I did it and it looks okay, but I suppose I could compare
29 it to what I get when I've booted from the install CD
30
31 I don't know how to post any file since the problem is on my laptop
32 where I don't have e-mail and I'm writing on my old desktop. I have no
33 means of getting the file to the old computer.
34 >
35 > What version and USE flags are you using for grub?
36
37 I'm using the latest stable version of grub.
38 >
39 > MediaDirect *might* have done weird things to your BIOS setup, it's
40 > worth a try to make a note of all current settings, then reset
41 > everything to default and try once more. Long shot, but I've seen
42 > stranger things...
43
44 I've checked all the BIOS settings and they all look fine. I didn't see
45 anything related to Media Direct in there.
46 >
47 >> Anyway, let me know what else you need (besides maybe contents of
48 >> fstab and grub.conf
49 >>
50 >> Although the fstab and grub.conf are exactly what they were before
51 >> hitting that damned "Media Direct" button.
52 >
53 > If they are the same then there's no real need to go further down that
54 > route. For the record, your boot stanza will have minimally something
55 > like this:
56
57 I'm going to post my grub.conf file, just to be sure. I have a SATA
58 drive on the laptop and I use genkernel.
59
60 default 0
61 timeout 30
62 splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
63 title=Gentoo Linux (2.6.22-gentoo-r5)
64
65 root=(hd0,0)
66 kernel /kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.22-gentoo-r5 root=/dev/ram0
67 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/sda3 udev
68 initrd /initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.22-gentoo-r5
69
70 Note: The line starting with kernel and ending with udev is all on one
71 line, but wordwrap is on so it displays on 2 lined
74 I am getting really frustrated here, 'cause my partitions all mount
75 properly and I can edit files on them. When I try booting to the hard
76 drive, it says "grub loading", or something to that affect, but then it
77 won't boot properly.
80 Anyway, I've been at this all night, so I'm giving up till tomorrow
81 after work.
82
83 Regards,
84