From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Getting maximum space out of a hard drive
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2022 20:58:09
1 On Sat, Aug 20, 2022 at 3:15 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Related question. Does encryption slow the read/write speeds of a drive
4 > down a fair amount? This new 10TB drive is maxing out at about
5 > 49.51MB/s or so.
6
7 Encryption won't impact the write speeds themselves of course, but it
8 could introduce a CPU bottleneck. If you don't have any cores pegged
9 at 100% though I'd say this isn't happening. On x86 encrypting a hard
10 drive shouldn't be a problem. I have seen it become a bottleneck on
11 something like a Pi4 if the encryption isn't directly supported in
12 hardware by the CPU.
13
14 50MB/s is reasonable if you have an IOPS-limited workload. It is of
15 course a bit low for something that is bandwidth-limited. If you want
16 to test that I'm not sure rsync is a great way to go. I'd pause that
17 (ctrl-z is fine), then verify that all disk IO goes to zero (might
18 take 30s to clear out the cache). Then I'd use "time dd bs=1M
19 count=20000 if=/dev/zero of=/path/to/drive/test" to measure how long
20 it takes to create a 20GB file. Oh, this assumes you're not using a
21 filesystem that can detect all-zeros and compress or make the file
22 sparse. If you get crazy-fast results then I'd do a test like copying
23 a single large file with cp and timing that.
24
25 Make sure your disk has no IO before testing. If you have two
26 processes accessing at once then you're going to get a huge drop in
27 performance on a spinning disk. That includes one writing process and
28 one reading one, unless the reads all hit the cache.
31 Rich