From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Getting maximum space out of a hard drive
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2022 19:15:32
1 Howdy,
2
3 Related question.  Does encryption slow the read/write speeds of a drive
4 down a fair amount?  This new 10TB drive is maxing out at about
5 49.51MB/s or so.  I actually copied that from the progress of rsync and
6 a nice sized file.  It's been running over 24 hours now so I'd think
7 buffer and cache would be well done with.  LOL
8
9 It did pass both a short and long self test.  I used cryptsetup -s 512
10 to encrypt with, nice password too.  My rig has a FX-8350 8 core running
11 at 4GHz CPU and 32GBs of memory.  The CPU is fairly busy.  A little more
12 than normal anyway.  Keep in mind, I have two encrypted drives connected
13 right now.
14
15 Just curious if that speed is normal or not.
16
17 Thoughts?
18
19 Dale
20
22
23 P. S.  The pulled drive I bought had like 60 hours on it.  Dang near new.