From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Getting maximum space out of a hard drive
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2022 21:47:15
1 On 8/20/22 1:15 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3
4 Hi,
5
6 > Related question. Does encryption slow the read/write speeds of a
7 > drive down a fair amount?
8
9 m
10
11 > This new 10TB drive is maxing out at about 49.51MB/s or so. I actually
12 > copied that from the progress of rsync and a nice sized file.
13 > It's been running over 24 hours now so I'd think buffer and cache
14 > would be well done with. LOL
15 >
16 > It did pass both a short and long self test. I used cryptsetup -s
17 > 512 to encrypt with, nice password too. My rig has a FX-8350 8 core
18 > running at 4GHz CPU and 32GBs of memory. The CPU is fairly busy.
19 > A little more than normal anyway. Keep in mind, I have two encrypted
20 > drives connected right now.
21 >
22 > Just curious if that speed is normal or not.
23 >
24 > Thoughts?
25 >
26 > Dale
27 >
29 >
30 > P. S. The pulled drive I bought had like 60 hours on it. Dang near
31 > new.
38 Grant. . . .
39 unix || die