From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New Install
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 21:55:57
1 Joachim Gwoke wrote:
2 >
3 > On 25 Sep 2016 12:19 a.m., "Dale" <rdalek1967@×××××.com
4 > <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > J. Roeleveld wrote:
7 > > > On September 24, 2016 10:54:56 PM GMT+02:00, Dale
8 > <rdalek1967@×××××.com <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>> wrote:
9 > > >> Well, you said you hadn't set up any users and their passwords. That
10 > > >> is
11 > > >> part of the install process and is in the guide. You are told to set
12 > > >> up
13 > > >> the root password in one section and to set up a user and its
14 > password
15 > > >> in another section. At the very least, you missed those two
16 > parts and
17 > > >> that isn't a assumption, it's based on what you posted. What
18 > else you
19 > > >> missed I'm not sure and most likely, no one else is either. Rich
20 > > >> posted
21 > > >> that he thinks you missed a whole section which may or may not be
22 > > >> correct but we do know you missed at least a couple steps Given
23 > enough
24 > > >> information, someone may be able to figure it out tho.
25 > > > Dale,
26 > > >
27 > > > You should know better. Please don't make it worse by top-posting
28 > even more.
29 > > >
30 > > > >From what I understand from this nightmare of a messy thread, the
31 > OP seems to be looking for an install-script/tool.
32 > > > This does not exist other than the simple to follow handbook.
33 > > >
34 > > > --
35 > > > Joost
36 > > >
37 > > >
38 > >
39 > > Well, as you know, I never top post unless it is a new person that
40 > > starts it. The only reason I do it then is because most likely the
41 > > person on the other end has no choice but too. It's likely why no one
42 > > has mentioned this. For all we know, he may be doing this with a
43 > > limited cell phone. Who knows. For the normal situations tho, I bottom
44 > > post as you know or do it inline. I will be glad when he gets it sorted
45 > > out and can actually set it up to be mailing list friendly. Top
46 > > posting, multiple threads and all makes it hard to follow.
47 > >
48 > > I'm beginning to think the same thing. Here we thought he was further
49 > > into the install and just missed a few steps/section and now I'm
50 > > beginning to think he has only booted the install media and wants a
51 > > installer command. Maybe he will post something that will help us help
52 > > him. Maybe. I thought I had a rough idea but based on a recent post,
53 > > we may be all wrong on where he is in this process.
54 > >
55 > > Dale
56 > >
57 > > :-) :-)
60 > Apologies for starting the top posting,
61 >
62 > I had earlier suggested using
63 > http://www.tecmint.com/gentoo-linux-installation-guide/ and the Gentoo
64 > handbook side by side.
65 > The link provided has the option of using the LiveDVD. I do not know
66 > at what stage the install failed but it might be easier to start over.
67 >
68 > Regards
69 > Joachim
72 I thought it was the OP that top posted first. Sometimes new folks fall
73 into a couple areas. 1: Don't know top posting is discouraged. 2: Are
74 using something that doesn't allow or is difficult to change from top
75 posting. I think stuff like cell phones and such fall into that 2nd
76 one. Either way, getting Gentoo installed is the more important thing
77 if the OP is limited on what he can email with. Once he gets Gentoo
78 installed, then he can have better options with help setting it up if
79 needed.
80
81 There are tons of media one can use to install Gentoo. As I think it
82 was Joost posted, it mostly just needs to be recent. I took a look at
83 your link, it may work, it may not. I always use the official Gentoo
84 guide because it is very well tested and known to work. Heck, on a lot
85 of things, you can copy and paste the commands. One could certainly use
86 tab completion a lot.
87
88 At this point, I'm thinking he only made to booting the live media and
89 for some reason, thinks Gentoo has a installer like other distros. I'm
90 not quite sure but it seems Neil's first reply may have been closer to
91 the point. Start at chapter 1 and follow it. lol
92
93 Dale
94