From: Joachim Gwoke <joachimgwoke@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] New Install
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 21:30:13
1 On 25 Sep 2016 12:19 a.m., "Dale" <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > J. Roeleveld wrote:
4 > > On September 24, 2016 10:54:56 PM GMT+02:00, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
5 wrote:
6 > >> Well, you said you hadn't set up any users and their passwords. That
7 > >> is
8 > >> part of the install process and is in the guide. You are told to set
9 > >> up
10 > >> the root password in one section and to set up a user and its password
11 > >> in another section. At the very least, you missed those two parts and
12 > >> that isn't a assumption, it's based on what you posted. What else you
13 > >> missed I'm not sure and most likely, no one else is either. Rich
14 > >> posted
15 > >> that he thinks you missed a whole section which may or may not be
16 > >> correct but we do know you missed at least a couple steps Given enough
17 > >> information, someone may be able to figure it out tho.
18 > > Dale,
19 > >
20 > > You should know better. Please don't make it worse by top-posting even
21 more.
22 > >
23 > > >From what I understand from this nightmare of a messy thread, the OP
24 seems to be looking for an install-script/tool.
25 > > This does not exist other than the simple to follow handbook.
26 > >
27 > > --
28 > > Joost
32 > Well, as you know, I never top post unless it is a new person that
33 > starts it. The only reason I do it then is because most likely the
34 > person on the other end has no choice but too. It's likely why no one
35 > has mentioned this. For all we know, he may be doing this with a
36 > limited cell phone. Who knows. For the normal situations tho, I bottom
37 > post as you know or do it inline. I will be glad when he gets it sorted
38 > out and can actually set it up to be mailing list friendly. Top
39 > posting, multiple threads and all makes it hard to follow.
40 >
41 > I'm beginning to think the same thing. Here we thought he was further
42 > into the install and just missed a few steps/section and now I'm
43 > beginning to think he has only booted the install media and wants a
44 > installer command. Maybe he will post something that will help us help
45 > him. Maybe. I thought I had a rough idea but based on a recent post,
46 > we may be all wrong on where he is in this process.
47 >
48 > Dale
49 >
50 > :-) :-)
53 Apologies for starting the top posting,
54
55 I had earlier suggested using
56 http://www.tecmint.com/gentoo-linux-installation-guide/ and the Gentoo
57 handbook side by side.
58 The link provided has the option of using the LiveDVD. I do not know at
59 what stage the install failed but it might be easier to start over.
60
61 Regards
62 Joachim