From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New Install
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 21:37:40
1 On September 24, 2016 11:29:59 PM GMT+02:00, Joachim Gwoke <joachimgwoke@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >On 25 Sep 2016 12:19 a.m., "Dale" <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> J. Roeleveld wrote:
5 >> > On September 24, 2016 10:54:56 PM GMT+02:00, Dale
6 ><rdalek1967@×××××.com>
7 >wrote:
8 >> >> Well, you said you hadn't set up any users and their passwords.
9 >That
10 >> >> is
11 >> >> part of the install process and is in the guide. You are told to
12 >set
13 >> >> up
14 >> >> the root password in one section and to set up a user and its
15 >password
16 >> >> in another section. At the very least, you missed those two parts
17 >and
18 >> >> that isn't a assumption, it's based on what you posted. What else
19 >you
20 >> >> missed I'm not sure and most likely, no one else is either. Rich
21 >> >> posted
22 >> >> that he thinks you missed a whole section which may or may not be
23 >> >> correct but we do know you missed at least a couple steps Given
24 >enough
25 >> >> information, someone may be able to figure it out tho.
26 >> > Dale,
27 >> >
28 >> > You should know better. Please don't make it worse by top-posting
29 >even
30 >more.
31 >> >
32 >> > >From what I understand from this nightmare of a messy thread, the
33 >OP
34 >seems to be looking for an install-script/tool.
35 >> > This does not exist other than the simple to follow handbook.
36 >> >
37 >> > --
38 >> > Joost
39 >> >
40 >> >
41 >>
42 >> Well, as you know, I never top post unless it is a new person that
43 >> starts it. The only reason I do it then is because most likely the
44 >> person on the other end has no choice but too. It's likely why no
45 >one
46 >> has mentioned this. For all we know, he may be doing this with a
47 >> limited cell phone. Who knows. For the normal situations tho, I
48 >bottom
49 >> post as you know or do it inline. I will be glad when he gets it
50 >sorted
51 >> out and can actually set it up to be mailing list friendly. Top
52 >> posting, multiple threads and all makes it hard to follow.
53 >>
54 >> I'm beginning to think the same thing. Here we thought he was
55 >further
56 >> into the install and just missed a few steps/section and now I'm
57 >> beginning to think he has only booted the install media and wants a
58 >> installer command. Maybe he will post something that will help us
59 >help
60 >> him. Maybe. I thought I had a rough idea but based on a recent
61 >post,
62 >> we may be all wrong on where he is in this process.
63 >>
64 >> Dale
65 >>
66 >> :-) :-)
69 >Apologies for starting the top posting,
70 >
71 >I had earlier suggested using
72 >http://www.tecmint.com/gentoo-linux-installation-guide/ and the Gentoo
73 >handbook side by side.
74 >The link provided has the option of using the LiveDVD. I do not know at
75 >what stage the install failed but it might be easier to start over.
76 >
77 >Regards
78 >Joachim
79
80 I had a quick look at that one. (Part 1 only) and it looks like the old quick install guide, but now with screenshots.
81
82 Screenshots are nice, but are always version dependent.
83
84 If I would get a penny or cent or whatever is the smallest part of your local currency for every time someone is completely incapable of following an install guide when only one of the screenshots no longer 100% match the guide, I would have already retired to my own little island in the Pacific...
85
86 The screenshots on that link seem to be related to a boot CD/DVD dated to 2012 and being used to install Gentoo in 2014.
87
88 I expect more confused questions from people who are not able to follow simple instructions if they are going to blindly follow this.
91 Joost
94 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.