From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Integrated ZFS for Gentoo - WAS Re: [gentoo-user] Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2013 04:44:25
1 On Sun, Sep 01, 2013 at 01:41:30PM +0800, Mark David Dumlao wrote
2
3 > Case in point - do you enable all the ext4 options, like acls and
4 > whatnot? Let's say no.
5 >
6 > What if you suddenly have to mount an external hard disk to
7 > recover some system on your server and the hard disk uses those ext4
8 > options? If ext4 is hard built into your kernel, your recompile will
9 > have to basically redo the whole thing, whereas if ext4 was a module
10 > you would only recompile ext4 itself.
11
12 Have you ever actually done this? I'd be very leery of pulling such a
13 stunt. The clean way of switching module versions is to...
14 * unload the old module, and
15 * load the new module
16
17 You obviously can't do this in your setup, because unloading the old
18 module would mean you could no longer access the file system to read in
19 the new module... OOPS.
20
21 You could run a script that creates /dev/shm/lib/3.1.4.1.5.9-gentoo/
22 (easy as pie<G>) and copies the new module to that dir. Then unload the
23 old module and load the new one, using modprobe with "-d /dev/shm/".
24
25 That still looks impossible. The problem is that you generally have a
26 whole bunch of files open at any time. E.g. try...
27
28 lsof -d txt | grep -v "/proc/" | less
29
30 ...and look at the output. Shutting down all those open files would
31 be disastrous. But that's not what you're saying. You seem to imply
32 that file system code can be overwritten *IN PLACE, WHILE IN USE*,
33 without any problems. Colour me skeptical about that one.
36 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
37 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications