From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Suspend/Hibernate on Dell Inspiron 6000
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 04:15:50
1 On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 15:38 +0400, Yahya Mohammad wrote:
2 > Hi list,
3 >
4 > I have a three year old Inspiron 6000 laptop with ATI Mobility Radeon
5 > X300 graphics. I can't get the laptop to resume from suspend or
6 > hibernate. I have gentoo-sources 2.6.23-r3, hibernate-script and
7 > ati-drivers-8.40.4 installed.
8
9 I have an 3ish yr old Inspiron 9100, with an ATI Mobility 9600/9700
10 (RV350?). Apparently mine is a "special" case...
11
12 > Both hibernate and suspend used to work a long time ago, but stopped
13 > after a few `emerge -uDN world`s. The older package versions when it
14 > used to work aren't in the portage tree anymore :(
15
16 I've had mixed success over the last 3 years. Various versions and
17 combinations of ati-drivers and kernels did / didn't work. Simple
18 solution could be because some names have changed recently. (suspend2 >
19 tuxonice, eg).
20
21 The other think I can suggest is to try various versions of each. At
22 least try ati-drivers 8.452 flavour, and some ati-drivers 8.35.x to
23 8.40.4 versions as well.
24
25 There's also suspend2-sources. er, that's tuxonice-sources now. Try
26 unstable sources and hibernate-script as well. Are you using suspend or
27 suspend2?
28
29 You might also want to check out radeontool.
30
31 > Does the suspend/hibernate process produce logs anywhere? I don't see
32 > anything in /var/log/*
33
34 post the output when you get logging going from the other suggestion.
35
36 > Will using open source drivers for my graphics chipset help in making
37 > suspend/hibernate work? And how do they handle 3D for this chipset? I
38 > don't play games, but it would be nice to use Compiz once it's stable in
39 > portage.
40
41 I think the X300 has decent success, unlike mine :( There was some help
42 on the wiki... OK there are a few links you probably want to read:
43 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_ATI_Drivers
44 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Software_Suspend_v2 (your card is "known to
45 work")
46 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_XGL/Troubleshooting
47 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Video_Card_Support_Under_XGL
48
49 > Thanks for any pointers.
50
51 np,
55 He who despises himself nevertheless esteems himself as a self-despiser.
56 -- Friedrich Nietzsche
59 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list