From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Questions about SATA and hot plugging.
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 20:17:26
1 On Wednesday 15 December 2010 11:58:13 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Grant Edwards
3 >
4 > <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > On 2010-12-15, Andrea Conti <alyf@××××.net> wrote:
6 > >>> E-SATA != SATA !!!!
7 > >>
8 > >> Nah. They are *exactly* the same.
9 > >
10 > > Not according to Wikipedia -- it says the electrical specs for eSATA
11 > > are different than the specs for "normal" SATA. I've seen that stated
12 > > in other places as well. I don't have copies of the two specs, so I
13 > > can't say I'm 100%, but I believe the Wikipedia page.
14 >
15 > It is true, and has to be for cost reasons.
16 >
17 > 1) Internal SATA drives are at the end of a single cable and don't
18 > require hot-plugging logic be built into the SATA port driver on the
19 > SATA controller because they are always powered up. (They are inside
20 > the case)
21 >
22 > 2) External SATA drives are at the end of 1) an internal cable, 2) a
23 > case SATA-eSATA connector, and 3) an external eSATA cable along with
24 > whatever is inside the eSATA case. eSATA compatible ports must include
25 > hot-plugging logic.
26 >
27 > For cost/simplicity reasons chip manufacturers are free to remove
28 > hot-plugging logic from any port for which they don't intend eSATA
29 > compatibility.
30 >
31 > The logic and timing of the signals on SATA and eSATA cables is
32 > (TTBOMK) intended to be identical. What those signals look like at
33 > different places in the cable chain will be different.
34 >
35 > - Mark
36
37 and you have sources to support that claims and did not just make it up.