From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Rusty problems
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2021 22:54:14
1 On Wed, 28 Apr 2021 23:05:35 +0100, antlists wrote:
2
3 > > There have been several tests posted over the years that show that
4 > > using a tmpfs for TMPDIR doesn't give as much of a gain as you would
5 > > expect. With NVMe drives, the difference is likely to be even
6 > > smaller.
7 >
8 > But that's not the only reason for a tmpfs. I guess the reason tmpfs
9 > doesn't necessarily give much gain is because linux caches everything
10 > so it's quite possible stuff never gets written to disk.
11
12 Agreed, but I was only responding to the comment that building on an SSD
13 was no slower than tmpfs.
14
15 > And I know gentoo does clean up behind itself, but I use tmpfs so the
16 > system cleans up behind it too, and it's got as much room as it needs.
17
18 I can't agree with the second part, a tmpfs has far less space than a
19 disk. I had a gcc build fail this morning when /tmp filled up. Not
20 because gcc needs more than I had but because another emerge had failed
21 and left a G or two in /tmp. You'll always have more disk space than
22 RAM - embedded aside.
26 Neil Bothwick
27
28 Forget the Joneses...I can't keep up with The Simpsons.