From: antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Rusty problems
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2021 22:05:45
1 On 28/04/2021 13:03, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > There have been several tests posted over the years that show that using
3 > a tmpfs for TMPDIR doesn't give as much of a gain as you would expect.
4 > With NVMe drives, the difference is likely to be even smaller.
5
6 But that's not the only reason for a tmpfs. I guess the reason tmpfs
7 doesn't necessarily give much gain is because linux caches everything so
8 it's quite possible stuff never gets written to disk.
9
10 And I know gentoo does clean up behind itself, but I use tmpfs so the
11 system cleans up behind it too, and it's got as much room as it needs.
12 When you see things like firefox allegedly needing 10s of gigs, I
13 thought "just give it oodles and let it take what it wants".
14
15 Cheers,
16 Wol