From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Rusty problems
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2021 12:03:53
1 On Wed, 28 Apr 2021 11:12:33 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2
3 > > I use rust-bin now, so this isn't an issue for me, but my laptop has
4 > > only 8GB and this is how I have it set for chromium:
5 >
6 > > % cat /etc/portage/env/disk-tmpdir.conf
7 > > PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/mnt/scratch"
8 >
9 > > % cat /etc/portage/package.env/chromium
10 > > www-client/chromium disk-tmpdir.conf
11 >
12 > > I do similar for libreoffice and a couple of other heavyweights.
13 >
14 > With a like setup, building rust took ~45 minutes. This is about the
15 > same as it took on the ram disk before giving up. So, I'm not losing a
16 > lot, if anything, by using /home/portage (On mirrored nvme SSDs).
17
18 There have been several tests posted over the years that show that using
19 a tmpfs for TMPDIR doesn't give as much of a gain as you would expect.
20 With NVMe drives, the difference is likely to be even smaller.
23 > > Another option, to be used instead of or as well as this would be
24 > > distcc. Once again, you can use package.env to apply this to selected
25 > > packages:
26 >
27 > That's for building on a different (more powerful) machine, isn't it? I
28 > don't actually have a more powerful machine. ;-)
29
30 A different machine, not necessarily more powerful. The point is that you
31 are splitting the workload between the different computers. My desktop is
32 currently emerging chromium, and is sending some of the work to my MythTV
33 backend, which is actually the old desktop machine it replaced.
37 Neil Bothwick
38
39 Time for a diet! -- [NO FLABBIER].