From: Randy Barlow <randy@×××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DPMS doesn't seem to work for me in Xorg 7.1
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 04:45:36
1 Randy Barlow wrote:
2 > Howdy all. I recently did the emerge --update world business, and with
3 > that came xorg 7.1 (was 7.0 before). So everything seemed to be fine
4 > and dandy, but I've noticed that the DPMS for the monitor doesn't seem
5 > to work quite right. I'm seeing this behavior on two machines (one a
6 > desktop and one a laptop, so different types of hardware, etc.), so I'm
7 > thinking it has something to do with some change to xorg itself, or
8 > maybe a config file? The symptoms are slightly different on each
9 > machine. On my laptop (intel i810 driver), the screen just never shuts
10 > off anymore at all. It's just happy to stay on seemingly forever,
11 > unless I shut it. The desktop however (nvidia legacy w/ CRT monitor)
12 > sometimes works (meaning turns off correctly), sometimes flickers on and
13 > off repeatedly until I move the mouse to wake it up, and sometimes just
14 > never turns off. I hate seemingly non-reproducible problems! I do have
15 > Option "DPMS" in the Section "Monitor" in my xorg.conf as well as this
16 > section at the end:
17 >
18 > Section "ServerFlags"
19 > Option "StandbyTime" "20"
20 > Option "SuspendTime" "40"
21 > Option "OffTime" "60"
22 > EndSection
23 >
24 > The Xorg log doesn't have any EE's in it, but does have the following
25 > warning:
26 >
27 > (WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or directory)
28 >
29 > And, of course, that file does not exist. I have no idea if that's
30 > significant for my problem or not. revdep-rebuild says everything is
31 > peachy. Any clues? Anybody seen this before? Thanks!
32
33 I have some more information - this might explain why the laptop doesn't
34 ever work. The command /usr/bin/xset q tells me:
37 DPMS (Energy Star):
38 Server does not have the DPMS Extension
39
40 Anyone know how I can get the DPMS extension?
41 --
42 Randy Barlow
43 http://www.electronsweatshop.com
44 --