From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] local overlay problem
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 04:38:48
1 130131 Dustin C. Hatch wrote:
2 > On 1/31/2013 20:41, Philip Webb wrote:
3 >> Firefox 17.0.2 requires alsa-lib , which I don't want as I don't use sound;
4 >> this is still the case with USE="-alsa".
5 >> I want to test what happens if I try to compile it without that dep,
6 >> so I copied the ebuild to /var/lib/layman/local/www-client/firefox/
7 >> & commented the relevant line to remove the RDEPEND.
8 >> When I then tried 'ebuild <newpkgname>...ebuild manifest',
9 >> it started to download xillions of little .xpi files into distfiles ,
10 >> apparently 1 for each of the World's many languages
11 >> (this didn't happen at my last 'eix-sync').
12 > It's downloading those files so it can recalculate the file hashes.
13
14 That's what I suspected (smile).
15
16 > When running `ebuild <file> digest`, it has to have
17 > all possible files available in order to update the Manifest file.
18 > Those languages won't be installed when you actually install
19 > your modified package. You'll probably want to keep them around
20 > until you're finished making changes, though.
21
22 Why doesn't this happen when I do my weekly 'eix-sync' ?
23 Perhaps it silently downloads them, then deletes them again,
24 or perhaps it simply downloads the Manifest on those occasions,
25 but has to calculate it specially for the non-Portage overlay.
26
27 I'll give it another try, but suggestions are still welcome.
28 Thanks for this one.
32 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
33 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
34 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca