From: Galevsky <galevsky@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is GWN dead?
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 14:21:59
1 On Jan 11, 2008 2:25 PM, Eddie Mihalow Jr <eamjr56@×××××××××.net> wrote
2 > You are missing the point of Gentoo then. We are NOT a binary distro (to
3 > repeat ad nauseum). If you want that kind of install, please change
4 > distros. I do find these other methods of install to be interesting though.
5 > Has anyone on this list ever used a PXE boot image to install?
8 With just sources, you can't do anything. Even when you built your LFS
9 you have to download first you toolchain as binaries, before
10 re-compilation. To compile a compiler..... you need a compiler. Good.
11 But what is the problem ? No issue here. You just know that without a
12 working PC and toolchain binaries, there is nothing to do.
13
14 Should we consider that LFS is not a true custom-made system and loads
15 the dice ? Of course not, since in the end, you get the expected
16 result.
17
18 Same thing here. You are telling me that my not-bootable linux system
19 -possibly out of any network- won't face any issue since there is a
20 repository containing Gentoo sources somewhere and that PXE are not
21 for dogs. Okay... tel me how to install Gentoo in that case. On the
22 contrary, I think installCD is a response to an existing need, and it
23 worth bringing solutions to existing needs.
24
25 Gentoo is not for me since I can't boot on PXE ? I don't want to give
26 one cent to each Gentoo user that can't boot on PXE but needs an
27 installCD/liveCD first.
28
29 Gal'
30 --