From: Eddie Mihalow Jr <eamjr56@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is GWN dead?
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 13:23:57
1 David Relson wrote:
2 > On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 11:02:08 +0100
3 > Michael Schmarck wrote:
4 >
5 >> Shaochun Wang <scwang@××××××.cn> wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> Maybe you joke will become the truth. Currently, Gentoo has not
8 >>> updated its installation CD for a long time!
9 >> Well, actually, I never used a Gentoo install CD to install Gentoo. I
10 >> also don't quite understand, why anyone would need such a beast. To
11 >> install Gentoo, I'd boot my favorite "rescue system" (GRMl nowadays,
12 >> Knoppix back then, but IMO Knoppix is too "fat" for *this* *task*)
13 >> and install from there. No need for an install CD.
14 >>
15 >> As far as I'm concerned, the Gentoo install CD could easily be dropped
16 >> without a loss.
17 >>
18 >> Michael
19 >
20 > I used the Gentoo LiveCD when I started with Gentoo in 2006. Prior
21 > Linux experience covered 8 or so years with Slackware, RedHat, and
22 > Mandrake.
23 >
24 > The installation was not smooth. My recollection is that the GUI
25 > installer asked for the same information multiple times and there were
26 > problems installing packages from the CD's. I ended up with a partial
27 > install that needed manual fixing. The process was painful, not
28 > smooth, but I was able to get Gentoo up and running.
29 >
30 > When I upgraded from 32-bits to 64-bits, I started with the minimal CD a binary distr
31 > and did a manual upgrade. The process worked well though it was time
32 > consuming (since I used my old world file to ensure I had 64 bit
33 > versions of everything).
34 >
35 > By contrast, I've done multiple Mandrake/Mandriva installs, most
36 > recently about 6 months ago (on an old laptop). The Mandriva install
37 > was dead simple and it was up and running within an hour.
38 >
39 > IMHO, for new users to Gentoo having an easy to use installer and a
40 > current LiveCD (no more than 6 months old) is very important.
41 >
42 > Regards,
43 >
44 > David
45 You are missing the point of Gentoo then. We are NOT a binary distro (to
46 repeat ad nauseum). If you want that kind of install, please change
47 distros. I do find these other methods of install to be interesting though.
48 Has anyone on this list ever used a PXE boot image to install?
51 Edward A Mihalow Jr
52 Mudbug Computers and Networks
53 Gentoo! Linux
54 Registered Linux User#225662