From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is GWN dead?
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 12:16:28
1 On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 11:02:08 +0100
2 Michael Schmarck wrote:
3
4 > Shaochun Wang <scwang@××××××.cn> wrote:
5 >
6 > > Maybe you joke will become the truth. Currently, Gentoo has not
7 > > updated its installation CD for a long time!
8 >
9 > Well, actually, I never used a Gentoo install CD to install Gentoo. I
10 > also don't quite understand, why anyone would need such a beast. To
11 > install Gentoo, I'd boot my favorite "rescue system" (GRMl nowadays,
12 > Knoppix back then, but IMO Knoppix is too "fat" for *this* *task*)
13 > and install from there. No need for an install CD.
14 >
15 > As far as I'm concerned, the Gentoo install CD could easily be dropped
16 > without a loss.
17 >
18 > Michael
19
20 I used the Gentoo LiveCD when I started with Gentoo in 2006. Prior
21 Linux experience covered 8 or so years with Slackware, RedHat, and
22 Mandrake.
23
24 The installation was not smooth. My recollection is that the GUI
25 installer asked for the same information multiple times and there were
26 problems installing packages from the CD's. I ended up with a partial
27 install that needed manual fixing. The process was painful, not
28 smooth, but I was able to get Gentoo up and running.
29
30 When I upgraded from 32-bits to 64-bits, I started with the minimal CD
31 and did a manual upgrade. The process worked well though it was time
32 consuming (since I used my old world file to ensure I had 64 bit
33 versions of everything).
34
35 By contrast, I've done multiple Mandrake/Mandriva installs, most
36 recently about 6 months ago (on an old laptop). The Mandriva install
37 was dead simple and it was up and running within an hour.
38
39 IMHO, for new users to Gentoo having an easy to use installer and a
40 current LiveCD (no more than 6 months old) is very important.
41
42 Regards,
43
44 David