From: Qian Qiao <qian.qiao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is GWN dead?
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 14:14:59
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 07:15:49 -0500
5 David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com> wrote:
6 > I used the Gentoo LiveCD when I started with Gentoo in 2006. Prior
7 > Linux experience covered 8 or so years with Slackware, RedHat, and
8 > Mandrake.
9 >
10 > The installation was not smooth. My recollection is that the GUI
11 > installer asked for the same information multiple times and there were
12 > problems installing packages from the CD's. I ended up with a partial
13 > install that needed manual fixing. The process was painful, not
14 > smooth, but I was able to get Gentoo up and running.
15 >
16 > When I upgraded from 32-bits to 64-bits, I started with the minimal CD
17 > and did a manual upgrade. The process worked well though it was time
18 > consuming (since I used my old world file to ensure I had 64 bit
19 > versions of everything).
20 >
21 > By contrast, I've done multiple Mandrake/Mandriva installs, most
22 > recently about 6 months ago (on an old laptop). The Mandriva install
23 > was dead simple and it was up and running within an hour.
24 >
25 > IMHO, for new users to Gentoo having an easy to use installer and a
26 > current LiveCD (no more than 6 months old) is very important.
27 >
28 > Regards,
29 >
30 > David
31
32 IMO, comparing a source distro with a binary distro in terms of installation
33 time is a bit unfair.
34
35 There are a couple of other things you also have to look at:
36 * Binary distros vendors need to optimize for compatibility. Take i686 as an
37 example, the same binary might be running on Pentium III, Pentium 4, Athlon and
38 a series of other hardwares. The advantage is quite obvious, if you ask for
39 vendor support, they know exactly how the software is compiled, what compiler
40 flag they used, what patches they applied. The disadvantage is also obvious,
41 say a particular compiler flag can increase the performance of the software on
42 your architecture, but breaks compatibility of the binaries with other
43 architectures, do you think the vendor will have that flag set?
44 * Source distros, on the contrary, lets you control how you want your software
45 to be build, what flags to use etc etc, at the price of much much longer
46 compilation time and much harder for vendors to support you. In someway, you
47 can even think that source distros lets to you imprint you personality onto your
48 system, you can go for aggressive -O3, or just optimize size for -Os, you can
49 - -mfpmath=sse if you know you have the hardware.
50
51 Back to the installation CD issue, undoubtably, having a nice working
52 installation CD for gentoo is desirable, but is it really needed? We are here
53 to do what we are best at.
54
55 LiveCD creators, Knoppix, for example, are good at creating liveCDs and keeping
56 hardware support on those CDs up-to-date etc etc, we should take advantage of
57 it.
58
59 Gentoo has a huge package repository, I'd much rather see the devs focus on
60 making that better, cos that's what they are good at.
61
62 There's no need to look at different distros with borders and boundaries and
63 have you mind bound on the concept that "I need to use a gentoo CD to install
64 gentoo".
65
66 All these distros/liveCDs are here to help us get the job done, isn't that what
67 free software is about? Isn't that what choice is about?
68
69 - -- Joe
72 - --
73 A computer scientist is someone who, when told "go to hell", considers
74 the "go to" harmful rather than the destination.
75
76 GnuPG FP: DE08 57AE A1AD 620C 02AA CCDD 611B 63AC B146 61D9