From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is GWN dead?
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 16:51:32
1 On Friday 11 January 2008, Qian Qiao wrote:
2 > ack to the installation CD issue, undoubtably, having a nice working
3 > installation CD for gentoo is desirable, but is it really needed? We
4 > are here to do what we are best at.
5 >
6 > LiveCD creators, Knoppix, for example, are good at creating liveCDs
7 > and keeping hardware support on those CDs up-to-date etc etc, we
8 > should take advantage of it.
9 >
10 > Gentoo has a huge package repository, I'd much rather see the devs
11 > focus on making that better, cos that's what they are good at.
12
13 Reading this, I had a thought: Most of the stuff available in gentoo
14 comes from some upstream place in the grand Free Software tradition.
15
16 Considering that an installation LiveCD is really just a temporary
17 bootable image that writes stuff to the disk (and that stuff happily
18 turns out to be a permanent bootable image), how about we just treat
19 Knoppix as an upstream package and add a relatively simple program to
20 do the installation?
21
22 Essentially, it will ask some questions and unpack a stage 3/4 then tell
23 the user to go and read 'man emerge'
26 Alan McKinnon
27 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
28 --