From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] youtube-dl and the conf file.
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2020 23:58:55
1 Michael wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, 27 October 2020 21:14:37 GMT Arve Barsnes wrote:
3 >> On Tue, 27 Oct 2020 at 21:58, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> I'm using the normal youtube-dl <link to video> command. No options or
5 >>> anything. This is what I have in the conf file.
6 >>>
7 >>>
8 >>> --format
9 >>> bestvideo[ext=webm][width<=?1280]+bestaudio/bestvideo[ext=mp4][width<=?128
10 >>> 0]+bestaudio/best
11 >>>
12 >>> --merge-output-format mp4
13 >>>
14 >>>
15 >>> Those options worked for a long time so I guess something changed with
16 >>> youtube-dl. I don't get why it says the options are a URL either. When
17 >>> I google, I can't find where anyone is getting this error or using
18 >>> different options either, at least not to accomplish the same goal. I
19 >> I took a quick look at the commit history, and it seems the
20 >> documentation for the format options haven't changed in at least a
21 >> year, so it's hard to say if it is actually youtube-dl being the
22 >> culprit here.
23 >>
24 >> Might be a quoting problem. Have you changed or updated anything
25 >> regarding your terminal emulator lately?
26 >>
27 >> Maybe run your command with the verbose flag (-v) and see if it tells
28 >> you the full command it is trying to run. Notice in the docs the whole
29 >> format string is quoted with single quotes.
30 >>
31 >> Regards,
32 >> Arve
33 > Occasionally the youtube-dl on the tree is not totally up-to-date with the
34 > latest and greatest in git. You can wait for a day or two and see if it gets
35 > updated in portage testing branch, or download it from git and run it from
36 > within a directory.
37 >
38 > Theoretically, your config can run into trouble if the container format you
39 > have set to merge video and audio into, will not work with the video/audio
40 > extractors available on the stream.
41 >
42 > You have specified: "--merge-output-format mp4"
43 >
44 > If the available codex for video or audio is not suitable for the mp4
45 > container, you are going to get an error. For example, if a stream only has
46 > bestvideo in a VP9 codec at width 1280, and/or best audio in opus codec, this
47 > will barf if you try to merge it into a mp4 container without transcoding the
48 > video and/or audio streams using codecs compatible with mp4, instead of
49 > merging (copying) them into webm (mkv) as they come.
50 >
51 > Hence it throws a wobbly back at you and asks you to run a search in case
52 > there is some URL with video/audio streams in codecs which will satisfy your
53 > mp4 container format requirement.
54 >
55 > I don't think the single/double quote is an issue for Linux. In MSWindows you
56 > ought to use double quotes.
59 I first noticed this when using a site other than youtube.  For a long
60 while, I thought it was because of me using other sites.  Today, real
61 early this morning, I wanted a video off youtube and noticed it still
62 gave the error.  That made me start to wonder.  Odd thing is, it seems
63 to pick the best video but the ones I was downloading were already low
64 definition anyway.  I may find a 4K video and see what it does.  If it
65 grabs the 4K version, it's ignoring the option in the conf file.  If it
66 grabs the 720P version, well, it is making use of some of the option
67 even if it is not happy with the rest of the line.
68
69 I get the same error even when I comment out that merge format line.  I
70 was hoping but I added that line a while back but so far, it ignores it
71 or they are not available as you point out.
72
73 If youtube-dl stops working because it can't be maintained, I'm going to
74 be sad.  I don't use it a lot but it is a nifty tool.  I really like the
75 resume feature.  It seems other tools stop at 90 something percent and
76 they require me to start over.  Youtube-dl just picks up where it left
77 off when you try again.  Saves a lot of time and bandwidth for me and
78 the site I'm getting a video from.
79
80 Dale
81