From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] youtube-dl and the conf file.
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2020 22:36:35
1 On Tuesday, 27 October 2020 21:14:37 GMT Arve Barsnes wrote:
2 > On Tue, 27 Oct 2020 at 21:58, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > I'm using the normal youtube-dl <link to video> command. No options or
4 > > anything. This is what I have in the conf file.
7 > > --format
8 > > bestvideo[ext=webm][width<=?1280]+bestaudio/bestvideo[ext=mp4][width<=?128
9 > > 0]+bestaudio/best
10 > >
11 > > --merge-output-format mp4
14 > > Those options worked for a long time so I guess something changed with
15 > > youtube-dl. I don't get why it says the options are a URL either. When
16 > > I google, I can't find where anyone is getting this error or using
17 > > different options either, at least not to accomplish the same goal. I
18 >
19 > I took a quick look at the commit history, and it seems the
20 > documentation for the format options haven't changed in at least a
21 > year, so it's hard to say if it is actually youtube-dl being the
22 > culprit here.
23 >
24 > Might be a quoting problem. Have you changed or updated anything
25 > regarding your terminal emulator lately?
26 >
27 > Maybe run your command with the verbose flag (-v) and see if it tells
28 > you the full command it is trying to run. Notice in the docs the whole
29 > format string is quoted with single quotes.
30 >
31 > Regards,
32 > Arve
33
34 Occasionally the youtube-dl on the tree is not totally up-to-date with the
35 latest and greatest in git. You can wait for a day or two and see if it gets
36 updated in portage testing branch, or download it from git and run it from
37 within a directory.
38
39 Theoretically, your config can run into trouble if the container format you
40 have set to merge video and audio into, will not work with the video/audio
41 extractors available on the stream.
42
43 You have specified: "--merge-output-format mp4"
44
45 If the available codex for video or audio is not suitable for the mp4
46 container, you are going to get an error. For example, if a stream only has
47 bestvideo in a VP9 codec at width 1280, and/or best audio in opus codec, this
48 will barf if you try to merge it into a mp4 container without transcoding the
49 video and/or audio streams using codecs compatible with mp4, instead of
50 merging (copying) them into webm (mkv) as they come.
51
52 Hence it throws a wobbly back at you and asks you to run a search in case
53 there is some URL with video/audio streams in codecs which will satisfy your
54 mp4 container format requirement.
55
56 I don't think the single/double quote is an issue for Linux. In MSWindows you
57 ought to use double quotes.