From: Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] the same hard-drives, different number of sectors...
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 18:45:07
1 Hi, perhaps someone could explain this to me:
2
3 I have bouth two the same hard-drives. The same model
4 (Hitachi HUA722050CLA330), the same firmware (JP20A3EA),
5 the same size (500GB). Well, not exactly. Both hdparm
6 and fdisk report different number of sectors (976771055
7 versus 976773168). Although not a big difference, yet
8 I expected them to be exactly the same (want to use
9 them for raid1).
10
11 So how is it possible they do not have the same number
12 of sectors? I have bought them from one supplier, even
13 their serial numbers are very close (only the last 2
14 characters out of 24 are different)...
15
16 Jarry
17 --
19 This mailbox accepts e-mails only from selected mailing-lists!
20 Everything else is considered to be spam and therefore deleted.