From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] postfix - how to test
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 17:02:30
1 On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 10:35:39 +0200
2 Johannes Skov Frandsen <joe@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:
5 > > Hi,
6 > >
7 > > On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 16:29:56 +0200 Johannes Skov Frandsen
8 > > <joe@×××××.com> wrote:
11 > >> Well I guess I should have expected it to rather simple to test.
12 > >> But I have never tried to configure a mailserver before
13 > >> hence my somewhat naive question.
14 > >>
15 > >> So what I did was to change my smtp server in thunderbird to use
16 > >> localhost (with my postfix server running) and the send a
17 > >> mail. This failed! Thunderbirds just claims that it could not
18 > >> connect to the server...
19 > >>
20 > >> I'm obvious doing something really simple completely wrong, but
21 > >> what?
22 > >>
23 > >
24 > > Start with telnet or even better netcat ("nc") and try connecting
25 > > directly, e.g. "nc localhost smtp" (replace "nc" by "telnet" if you
26 > > have that installed -- you might need to install one of the
27 > > utilities, in that case, chose netcat).
28 > >
29 > My server give me this response:
30 > # telnet localhost smtp
31 > Trying 127.0.0.1...
32 > Connected to localhost.
33 > Escape character is '^]'.
34 > Connection closed by foreign host
35 >
36 > I have no firewall installed so it shouldn't be a firewal problem.
37 > > The server should respond with
38 > > "220 <server's host name> ESMTP <product id>".
39 > >
40 > > If not, check
41 > > - whether "localhost" can be resolved (your /etc/hosts might be
42 > > borked)
43 > > - if there's a overly jealous firewall active, that doesn't allow
44 > > this traffic.
45 > >
46 > > You can then try talking to your mail server directly (simple SMTP
47 > > is fast to learn), e.g. enter
48 > >
49 > > ---snip
50 > > MAIL FROM: blah@×××××.org
51 > > RCPT TO: myuser@××××××××.com
52 > > DATA
53 > > Subject: Test
54 > >
55 > > this is a test.
56 > > .
57 > > QUIT
58 > > ---snip
59 > > (server will send replies not printed here)
60 > >
61 > > Do the same coming from the outside, in order to make sure that
62 > > those attempts are blocked. Otherwise you'll create an open relay
63 > > and you'll be blocked very soon on several other hosts.
64 > >
65 > > If you're not sure what is wrong, that might warrant a look into
66 > > postfix' log files (below /var/log).
67 > >
68 > I cant' seem to locate the log file. Any hint on the specific
69 > location?
70 > > -hwh
74 Postfix on my boxes logs to /var/log/mail.err and /var/log/mail.log.
75
76 Why not attach your main.cf to the next message, and I'll take a look
77 at it?
78 --
79 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list