From: Johannes Skov Frandsen <joe@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] postfix - how to test
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 08:41:09
1 Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 16:29:56 +0200 Johannes Skov Frandsen
5 > <joe@×××××.com> wrote:
8 >> Well I guess I should have expected it to rather simple to test. But I
9 >> have never tried to configure a mailserver before
10 >> hence my somewhat naive question.
11 >>
12 >> So what I did was to change my smtp server in thunderbird to use
13 >> localhost (with my postfix server running) and the send a
14 >> mail. This failed! Thunderbirds just claims that it could not connect
15 >> to the server...
16 >>
17 >> I'm obvious doing something really simple completely wrong, but
18 >> what?
21 > Start with telnet or even better netcat ("nc") and try connecting
22 > directly, e.g. "nc localhost smtp" (replace "nc" by "telnet" if you
23 > have that installed -- you might need to install one of the utilities,
24 > in that case, chose netcat).
25 >
26 My server give me this response:
27 # telnet localhost smtp
28 Trying 127.0.0.1...
29 Connected to localhost.
30 Escape character is '^]'.
31 Connection closed by foreign host
32
33 I have no firewall installed so it shouldn't be a firewal problem.
34 > The server should respond with
35 > "220 <server's host name> ESMTP <product id>".
36 >
37 > If not, check
38 > - whether "localhost" can be resolved (your /etc/hosts might be borked)
39 > - if there's a overly jealous firewall active, that doesn't allow this
40 > traffic.
41 >
42 > You can then try talking to your mail server directly (simple SMTP is
43 > fast to learn), e.g. enter
44 >
45 > ---snip
46 > MAIL FROM: blah@×××××.org
47 > RCPT TO: myuser@××××××××.com
48 > DATA
49 > Subject: Test
50 >
51 > this is a test.
52 > .
53 > QUIT
54 > ---snip
55 > (server will send replies not printed here)
56 >
57 > Do the same coming from the outside, in order to make sure that those
58 > attempts are blocked. Otherwise you'll create an open relay and you'll
59 > be blocked very soon on several other hosts.
60 >
61 > If you're not sure what is wrong, that might warrant a look into
62 > postfix' log files (below /var/log).
63 >
64 I cant' seem to locate the log file. Any hint on the specific location?
65 > -hwh
71 Regards / Venlig hilsen
72
73 Johannes Skov Frandsen
74
75 *Address:* Egelundsvej 18, DK-5260 Odense S
76 *Web:* www.omesc.com | *Email:* joe@×××××.com
79 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list