From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] postfix - how to test
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 14:50:13
1 Hi,
2
3 On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 16:29:56 +0200 Johannes Skov Frandsen
4 <joe@×××××.com> wrote:
5
6 > Well I guess I should have expected it to rather simple to test. But I
7 > have never tried to configure a mailserver before
8 > hence my somewhat naive question.
9 >
10 > So what I did was to change my smtp server in thunderbird to use
11 > localhost (with my postfix server running) and the send a
12 > mail. This failed! Thunderbirds just claims that it could not connect
13 > to the server...
14 >
15 > I'm obvious doing something really simple completely wrong, but
16 > what?
17
18 Start with telnet or even better netcat ("nc") and try connecting
19 directly, e.g. "nc localhost smtp" (replace "nc" by "telnet" if you
20 have that installed -- you might need to install one of the utilities,
21 in that case, chose netcat).
22
23 The server should respond with
24 "220 <server's host name> ESMTP <product id>".
25
26 If not, check
27 - whether "localhost" can be resolved (your /etc/hosts might be borked)
28 - if there's a overly jealous firewall active, that doesn't allow this
29 traffic.
30
31 You can then try talking to your mail server directly (simple SMTP is
32 fast to learn), e.g. enter
33
34 ---snip
35 MAIL FROM: blah@×××××.org
36 RCPT TO: myuser@××××××××.com
37 DATA
38 Subject: Test
39
40 this is a test.
41 .
42 QUIT
43 ---snip
44 (server will send replies not printed here)
45
46 Do the same coming from the outside, in order to make sure that those
47 attempts are blocked. Otherwise you'll create an open relay and you'll
48 be blocked very soon on several other hosts.
49
50 If you're not sure what is wrong, that might warrant a look into
51 postfix' log files (below /var/log).
52
53 -hwh
54 --