From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] postfix - how to test [ot]
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2007 17:10:00
1 On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 16:44:29 +0200
2 Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de> wrote:
3
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 16:29:56 +0200 Johannes Skov Frandsen
7 > <joe@×××××.com> wrote:
8 >
9 > > Well I guess I should have expected it to rather simple to test.
10 > > But I have never tried to configure a mailserver before
11 > > hence my somewhat naive question.
12 > >
13 > > So what I did was to change my smtp server in thunderbird to use
14 > > localhost (with my postfix server running) and the send a
15 > > mail. This failed! Thunderbirds just claims that it could not
16 > > connect to the server...
17 > >
18 > > I'm obvious doing something really simple completely wrong, but
19 > > what?
20 >
21 > Start with telnet or even better netcat ("nc") and try connecting
22 > directly, e.g. "nc localhost smtp" (replace "nc" by "telnet" if you
23 > have that installed -- you might need to install one of the utilities,
24 > in that case, chose netcat).
25 >
26 > The server should respond with
27 > "220 <server's host name> ESMTP <product id>".
28 >
29 > If not, check
30 > - whether "localhost" can be resolved (your /etc/hosts might be
31 > borked)
32 > - if there's a overly jealous firewall active, that doesn't allow this
33 > traffic.
34 >
35 > You can then try talking to your mail server directly (simple SMTP is
36 > fast to learn), e.g. enter
37 >
38 > ---snip
39 > MAIL FROM: blah@×××××.org
40 > RCPT TO: myuser@××××××××.com
41 > DATA
42 > Subject: Test
43 >
44 > this is a test.
45 > .
46 > QUIT
47 > ---snip
48 > (server will send replies not printed here)
49 >
50 > Do the same coming from the outside, in order to make sure that those
51 > attempts are blocked. Otherwise you'll create an open relay and you'll
52 > be blocked very soon on several other hosts.
53 >
54 > If you're not sure what is wrong, that might warrant a look into
55 > postfix' log files (below /var/log).
56 >
57 > -hwh
58 That is so cool!!! Worked for me, I use postfix on home relayhost as
59 well. Let me know if you have more problems, sounds like we have about
60 the same config.
63 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list