From: Johannes Skov Frandsen <joe@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] postfix - how to test
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 14:35:51
1 Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 08:07:33 -0500 Albert Hopkins <marduk@g.o>
5 > wrote:
8 >> On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 14:45 +0200, Johannes Skov Frandsen wrote:
9 >>
10 >>> testing if apache works is easy, you just go to http://localhost and
11 >>> see
12 >>> if something happens,
13 >>> but how do I test if postfix actual sends my mail?
14 >>>
15 >> Well, you set up a web server to deliver web content. I'm assuming
16 >> you're setting up a mail server to deliver mail. So the test is to
17 >> see that it delivers mail.
18 >>
19 >> Not that I've ever used postfix, but testing a mail server should be
20 >> pretty similar for any platform.
21 >>
22 >> 1. Create a mailbox (or use a remote one)
23 >> 2. Using a MUA, for example, connect to mail server.
24 >> 3. Send message to be delivered to mailbox
25 >> 4. Verify message delivered to mailbox.
28 > Except that this is more the test case for /receiving/ mail :-)
29 > But yes, looking at the mail server's configuration, this is most
30 > likely the more interesting test case. Sending, after all, should just
31 > work fine with almost any mail server...
32 >
33 > Since OP did set up with SASL, it might also be interesting whether
34 > non-local originating mail is blocked for relay (test case: Send a mail
35 > with the server's mail domain address -- somebody@××××××××.com -- to
36 > some other server out there from a computer not in the trusted address
37 > range) and if that can be cured by proper authentication. But the OP
38 > didn't mention setting up SASL by any means. It'll probably work using
39 > PAM out-of-the-box.
42 > -hwh
43 >
44 Hi
45
46 Well I guess I should have expected it to rather simple to test. But I
47 have never tried to configure a mailserver before
48 hence my somewhat naive question.
49
50 So what I did was to change my smtp server in thunderbird to use
51 localhost (with my postfix server running) and the send a
52 mail. This failed! Thunderbirds just claims that it could not connect to
53 the server...
54
55 I'm obvious doing something really simple completely wrong, but what?
59 Regards / Venlig hilsen
60
61 Johannes Skov Frandsen
62
63 *Address:* Egelundsvej 18, DK-5260 Odense S
64 *Web:* www.omesc.com | *Email:* joe@×××××.com
67 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list