From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Encrypting a hard drive's data. Best method.
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 21:02:58
1 Michael wrote:
2 > On Wednesday, 10 June 2020 07:59:19 BST Dale wrote:
3 >> Howdy,
4 >>
5 >> Same topic just new question. I use KDE and am wanting to have it so
6 >> the Device Notifier will allow me to mount the drive when I turn it on.
7 > I probably missed in earlier threads, but is this is an externally powered USB
8 > device?
11 Not USB but eSATA.
12
13 >> So far, I got it set up and when I turn the drive on and click for it to
14 >> mount it, it asks me for a password.
15 > Where do you "click for it"?
16
17 The Device Notifier in the KDE panel thingy.  I use it to access my
18 cameras, SD cards put in my card reader and even my cell phone.
23 >> I type in the password but it mounts it to the wrong place.
24 > Please define "wrong place".
27 It mounts under /run.  I want it mounted under /home.
30 >> If I do it on the command line, it works as expected.
31 > What is expected?
34 I was expecting it to mount from the Device Notifier just like it does
35 from the command line.
36
37 >> I have it set up in dmcrypt and fstab. So, command line
38 >> works, KDE's Device Notifier doesn't.
39 > For the avoidance of doubt:
40 >
41 > "command line" = /bin/mount
42 >
43 > "KDE's Device Notifier" = /usr/bin/udisksctl
44 >
45 > There is a difference between the two:
46 >
47 > $ ls -la /bin/mount
48 > -rws--x--x 1 root root 56360 May 11 00:25 /bin/mount
49 >
50 > $ ls -la /usr/bin/udisksctl
51 > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 60496 Nov 23 2019 /usr/bin/udisksctl
54 > You run mount as root with temporarily elevated privileges and operate on
55 > devices directly via the kernel, but can only mount such block devices if they
56 > have a corresponding /etc/fstab entry - unless you are root.
57 >
58 > You run udisksctl as plain user - it is a userspace command which operates on
59 > the udisks daemon to manipulate mountable devices via D-Bus. The default
60 > mountpoint by udisksctl is under /run/media/<user_name>/LABEL
63 True but since I'm wanting to mount it under the same /home directory as
64 the user doing the mounting, it shouldn't require any additional
65 privileges.
68 >> It tells me I don't have
69 >> permission to access but it also mounts it in the wrong place. I
70 >> suspect it mounting it in the wrong place leads to the permissions
71 >> error. It mounts under /run. I want it mounted under /home.
72 > You may be able to achieve this via udev rules for the specific UUID of the
73 > disk, or perhaps via a symlink from /home to the /run mountpoint. I haven't
74 > tested this, but you could give it a spin and see what you get.
75 >
76 > PS. You can ignore my earlier questions, no need to answer them. The
77 > structure of your message was perhaps back to front to assist my
78 > understanding. :-)
81 No problem.  Sometimes when anyone is writing, it's assumed that
82 everyone else knows the steps that are taken.  Usually that is not the
83 case.  It's why we always ask for error messages, commands used etc etc
84 etc.  ;-)
85
86 Based on everything I've found with google, I think the Device Notifier
87 is badly limited.  It can get to a certain point but it can't go any
88 further.  It seems we need a better tool or the current tool needs a
89 little extra programming.  I was wanting to avoid the command line part
90 in case something happened to me and someone needed to access a
91 encrypted device.  Victor seems to confirm that with his reply.
92
93 Thanks.
94
95 Dale