From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Encrypting a hard drive's data. Best method.
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 09:53:05
1 On Wednesday, 10 June 2020 07:59:19 BST Dale wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > Same topic just new question. I use KDE and am wanting to have it so
5 > the Device Notifier will allow me to mount the drive when I turn it on.
6
7 I probably missed in earlier threads, but is this is an externally powered USB
8 device?
11 > So far, I got it set up and when I turn the drive on and click for it to
12 > mount it, it asks me for a password.
13
14 Where do you "click for it"?
17 > I type in the password but it mounts it to the wrong place.
18
19 Please define "wrong place".
22 > If I do it on the command line, it works as expected.
23
24 What is expected?
27 > I have it set up in dmcrypt and fstab. So, command line
28 > works, KDE's Device Notifier doesn't.
29
30 For the avoidance of doubt:
31
32 "command line" = /bin/mount
33
34 "KDE's Device Notifier" = /usr/bin/udisksctl
35
36 There is a difference between the two:
37
38 $ ls -la /bin/mount
39 -rws--x--x 1 root root 56360 May 11 00:25 /bin/mount
40
41 $ ls -la /usr/bin/udisksctl
42 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 60496 Nov 23 2019 /usr/bin/udisksctl
45 You run mount as root with temporarily elevated privileges and operate on
46 devices directly via the kernel, but can only mount such block devices if they
47 have a corresponding /etc/fstab entry - unless you are root.
48
49 You run udisksctl as plain user - it is a userspace command which operates on
50 the udisks daemon to manipulate mountable devices via D-Bus. The default
51 mountpoint by udisksctl is under /run/media/<user_name>/LABEL
54 > It tells me I don't have
55 > permission to access but it also mounts it in the wrong place. I
56 > suspect it mounting it in the wrong place leads to the permissions
57 > error. It mounts under /run. I want it mounted under /home.
58
59 You may be able to achieve this via udev rules for the specific UUID of the
60 disk, or perhaps via a symlink from /home to the /run mountpoint. I haven't
61 tested this, but you could give it a spin and see what you get.
62
63 PS. You can ignore my earlier questions, no need to answer them. The
64 structure of your message was perhaps back to front to assist my
65 understanding. :-)