From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Install PreQualifying Matrix
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 02:20:49
1 Jeremi Piotrowski <jeremi.piotrowski <at> gmail.com> writes:
2
3 > Planning questions are an OK-ish idea, but I surely wouldn't link to
4 > derivative distributions to answer them. We have appropriate wiki pages
5 > for all options, those that are insufficient should be improved. These
6 > could be linked to so that people know what to expect.
7
8 I'm not suggesting that the handbook not be referenced or recommended.
9 I'm suggesting that we point to some sites for quick installs, including
10 gentoo livedvd. Others might be after a failed handbook install.
11 It's an idea, certainly not a mutiny.... But I do see that the handbook
12 being the face of the gentoo install experience is sub optimal. ymmv.
13 I think it should be an reference option for those ready for a deeper
14 learning (pedantic) experience. I do think there is room for a quickie
15 install semantic, if not many other install semantics other than the
16 handbook. Hence the idea of the Planning Matrix Questions before a
17 particular installation semantic is chosen by the new user.
20 > > What I really would appreciate is some feedback on the Planning
21 > > Questions listed below, as to help folks organized their thoughts and
22 > > hardware details BEFORE actually performing an install or test-drive.
23
24 > It's always good to plan before doing something so *this* part of your
25 > proposal I support.
26
27 Yes the idea works with just keeping the status quo for installs (pain and
28 torture via the handbook) too. That's a minimal scope of what I have
29 in mind so hence I'm first shopping the idea here to give gentoo the first
30 shot. If not, I might just put up a neutral site and point to all the
31 gentoo derivative distros; and let folks choose as they like. I've been
32 on this list over 10 years now. I'm pretty convicted about this
33 need to offer up a softer face to gentoo installs, one way or another.
34 Sites like distrowatch do Gentoo a great dis-service.
37 > > A recent discussion of the dev list showed
38 > > encouragement for pointing gentoo-noobs to some of the gentoo derivative
39 > > distros for a quick install experience.
40
41 > Perhaps it would be enough to extend this page
42 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/About
43
44 That seems like a page to read just before attempting a Handbook install.
45 However, you can take what ideas you like and make those mods as you like.
46 What I'm talking about is a set of questions that help a user
47 prepare the info and make critical decisions, like systemd vs openrc.
48
49 > and under `Troubles` mention derivative distributions (by name) with a
50 > _hint_ that their installers quickly lead to a working base system.
51
52 That sounds like a good idea; do you have rights to the wiki page?
53 Gonna post a bgo doc bug?
54
55 > The decisions to be made during the installation are mostly orthogonal, so
56 > I wouldn't try to break the current installation procedure which is for
57 > the most part linear.
58
59 Many think the current install (via the handbook) is like kissing a sour
60 lemon on the first date. ymmv.
61
62 > A matrix implies some form of interaction between the options, which I
63 > don't quite see.
64
65 The proposal is for planning before the install occurs. It does suggest
66 that the handbook be only one of the possible pathways to a successful
67 installation of gentoo (or a limited number of gentoo derivatives).
68
69 It can be a (3) column table with links to appropriate install semantics.
70 It's a thought looking for comments; not a hard pitch at all. I think
71 I have identified some excellent questions to pose to potential gentoo
72 install noobs, so they at least prepare for whatever installation semantic
73 they choose to follow. If folks do not like the idea of pointing to other
74 distros with installer programs. OK. That can be something
75 informally suggested. I thought the link to calculate where its is clearly
76 explained how to covert a calculate linux install to a gentoo install, is a
77 valid idea and it first appeared in gentoo-dev. Many of the devs are aware
78 of the drudgery of installing gentoo via the handbook. Sure many folks
79 think that pain is necessary, but I do disagree, strongly. I never taught
80 like that in any of my labs or folks I have mentored over the decades. But
81 the 'hard ass' approach is a popular, legacy mentality and many youthful as
82 well as older folks with experience just do not respond well to that sort of
83 speech, imho. That's what the combination of the handbook and many
86 Calcuate linux keeping a page around where folks and easily see how to
87 convert a calculate linux install to a gentoo install is very classy on
88 their part as they are interested in what is best for the user.
91 > > straightforward for folks to discern the best route to their desired
92 > > final result. When new installation semantics [1] mature, the
93 > > installation matrix can be modified to include those options as links.
94
95 > > Install PreQualifying Matrx::QUESTIONS
96 > > Live Testdrive options before installation(usb/cd/dvd)::
97
98 > Pretty much already covered by
99 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Media
100
101 Really ? USB ? Persistence ? Net or remote boots? auto-Installer?
102
103 > > Intended Usage (workstation/server/device/)
104 > > Hardware or Vitual installation::
105 > > PC mobo or tablet/embedded/device::
106 > > Processor/Ram characteristics::
107
108 > How are any of these relevant to the installation?
109
110 Profiles? Data needed for kernel configs? Which set of instructions
111 to follow (vm vs hardware based)?
112
113 > For virtual
114 > installations I would only add mention of the `make kvmconfig` option that
115 > quickly pulls in qemu drivers. But the other things you mentioned don't
116 > have corresponding choices that need to be made (during the install and
117 > especially by newcomers). I'd remove them.
118
119 I never said every question brings forth useful information for every
120 possible install pathway. It's a collection of planning questions before
121 anyone at gentoo-user knows what's are the goals or expectations of the
122 person newly installing gentoo.
125 > > MBR vs (u)EFI (type of mobo)::
126 > > Single or Multi or RAID disk configuration::
127 > > File System type(s)::
128 > > Grub1 vs Grub2 or other boot-semantics::
129
130 > To me these are the only real things that need to be thought about during
131 > the install. MBR vs UEFI is well explained if you ask me.
132
133 Maybe but has the person preparing to do the intalll congnicent of the choice?
134 > Single/RAID and filesystems are strongly connected but can be chosen
135 > freely independent of the other two.
138 > Grub2 can boot pretty much anything and if you use the EFI
139 > stub kernel on the ESP with initrd then that too can handle anything. So
140 > no dependencies here.
141
142 Good questions for preparation of the install. The idea is to avoid sending
143 the new install person on a reading lesson during the installation. Maybe
144 suggest the reading before the install commences.
147 > So I would ask these questions in this order, and this is actually the
148 > order in which they show up in the handbook... which makes me wonder
149 > whether there is really a need for this.
150
151 The point is that this should be discuss *before* a handbook install
152 is conducted, not during the install.... Looking back a documents one
153 has been previously introduced to, is usually more successful, too.
154
155 > > OpenRC or Systemd::
156
157 > More of a post install thing if you ask me but the handbook currently
158 > links to the systemd article at just the right time.
159
160 > If anything I would actually go for a simplification of the install
161 > procedure, to something extremely low maintenence (for the handbook
162 > authors ofc). An ext4 single disk install with grub2 (meh) that every one
163 > can handle.
164
165 YES and script it up so the answers to those aforementioned questions
166 can be parsed during a (semi) auto install..... HELL YES!
167
168 But still that would be just one of the pathways. Let's face it
169 the concept of a singular handbook install doc for all install
170 cases is dated at best. What about tablets? Arm64. Cell phones
171 running linux. Vitural or Canotainer based installs, embedded just to name a
172 few. A planning/decision matrix can be linked to a multitude of install
173 choices, old and new (lilblue, tinhat, tor-ramdisk, pentoo, etc etc).
174 I'm quite certain the install handbook would be cross referenced,
175 frequently, kinda like a websters' dictionary is when doing homework.
176 To me, I am suggesting using the handbook as a reference document.
177
178 > Sure gentoo gives you choices but you have to be ready to handle them, so
179 > perhaps the first install is not the right one for experimenting?
180
181 Agreed. The first ride on Gentoo should be a live or autoinstall.
182 Even technically astute folks will appreciated that convenience, that
183 is folks that do not even need the handbook.....
184
185 > > as well as valid install links
186 > > like sabayon for gentoo(ish) systemd
187 > > like calculate-linus for gentoo(ish)openrc
188 > > like pentoo for gentoo-penetration systems
189 > > like zentoo for gentoo CI systems
190 > > Like funtoo as an option install
191 > > like gentooliveUSB for a gentoo + persistence experience.
192
193 > The goal should be to get people to come to gentoo-gentoo, not to go
194 > elsewhere.
195
196 Really? If you read a bit there is a significant support for running off
197 many folks new to gentoo; as they are not worthy or some horse_feathers like
198 that.....
201 > I actually don't feel that there is any crisis. The only time I've ever
202 > had problems with the install was when I decided to not follow the
203 > handbook. Most people should just stick to the handbook and learn.
204 > Experiment once they know what they're dealing with.
205
206 I chatted up one of the failed installs today. Seems the guy has been
207 using linux and unix for quite some time He is disillusioned with debian +
208 systemd. He feels pretty insulted by the 'tone' of some of the responses; so
209 I would politely disagree with you here.
212 > I think an einstein quote is relevant here:
213 > Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.
214
215 I doubt Einstein could install gentoo. He was known for bumbling around
216 a bit. How would you feel if Albert failed on a gentoo handbook install?
217 Pretty crappy is my bet.
218
219 > The current install procedure is pretty much as simple as can be,
220 > once you think about it.
221
222 Bull Crap. I strongly disagree here. I think it's a sadistic ritual
223 for smoots needing self satisfaction and emancipation at the expense
224 of others. Many do not like the systemd landscape and are looking for
225 a lifeline. The guy I chatted up felt like he had his teeth kicked in,
226 and he not young either.
227
228 Again, I disagree with you. We use to have an installer. Most distros,
229 including most of the gentoo derivative distros have an installer
230 program, at least for basic installs. I certainly would appreciated
231 one, and many others have expressed that such an auto-installer would be
232 keen. When somebody is ready for a pedantic beat down, the handbook can
233 emerge as victorious......
234
235 The handbook is fine, but an installer would be fantastic, imho. ymmv.
236
237 James