From: Jeremi Piotrowski <jeremi.piotrowski@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Install PreQualifying Matrix
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 20:14:49
1 On Mon, 17 Aug 2015, James wrote:
2 > So another day, another borked set of installs.
3
4 You are aware that for every failed install that comes to this mailing
5 lists there are countless that go just fine, right?
8 Planning questions are an OK-ish idea, but I surely wouldn't link to
9 derivative distributions to answer them. We have appropriate wiki pages
10 for all options, those that are insufficient should be improved. These
11 could be linked to so that people know what to expect.
12
13 > What I really would appreciate is some feedback on the Planning
14 > Questions listed below, as to help folks organized their thoughts and
15 > hardware details BEFORE actually performing an install or test-drive.
16
17 It's always good to plan before doing something so *this* part of your
18 proposal I support.
21 > A recent discussion of the dev list showed
22 > encouragement for pointing gentoo-noobs to some of the gentoo derivative
23 > distros for a quick install experience.
24
25 Perhaps it would be enough to extend this page
26
27 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/About
28
29 and under `Troubles` mention derivative distributions (by name) with a
30 _hint_ that their installers quickly lead to a working base system.
33 The decisions to be made during the installation are mostly orthogonal, so
34 I wouldn't try to break the current installation procedure which is for
35 the most part linear.
36 A matrix implies some form of interaction between the options, which I
37 don't quite see.
40 > straightforward for folks to discern the best route to their desired final
41 > result. When new installation semantics [1] mature, the installation matrix
42 > can be modified to include those options as links.
43 >
44 > Install PreQualifying Matrx::QUESTIONS
45 > ....................................................................
46 > ....................................................................
47 > ....................................................................
48 > Live Testdrive options before installation(usb/cd/dvd)::
49
50 Pretty much already covered by
51
52 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Media
53
54 and should really be a pre-install thing which it currently already is.
55
56 > Intended Usage (workstation/server/device/)
57 > Hardware or Vitual installation::
58 > PC mobo or tablet/embedded/device::
59 > Processor/Ram characteristics::
60
61 How are any of these relevant to the installation? For virtual
62 installations I would only add mention of the `make kvmconfig` option that
63 quickly pulls in qemu drivers. But the other things you mentioned don't
64 have corresponding choices that need to be made (during the install and
65 especially by newcomers). I'd remove them.
66
67 > MBR vs (u)EFI (type of mobo)::
68 > Single or Multi or RAID disk configuration::
69 > File System type(s)::
70 > Grub1 vs Grub2 or other boot-semantics::
71
72 To me these are the only real things that need to be thought about during
73 the install. MBR vs UEFI is well explained if you ask me. Single/RAID and
74 filesystems are strongly connected but can be chosen freely independent of
75 the other two. Grub2 can boot pretty much anything and if you use the EFI
76 stub kernel on the ESP with initrd then that too can handle anything. So
77 no dependencies here.
78
79 So I would ask these questions in this order, and this is actually the
80 order in which they show up in the handbook... which makes me wonder
81 whether there is really a need for this.
82
83 > OpenRC or Systemd::
84
85 More of a post install thing if you ask me but the handbook currently
86 links to the systemd article at just the right time.
89 If anything I would actually go for a simplification of the install
90 procedure, to something extremely low maintenence (for the handbook
91 authors ofc). An ext4 single disk install with grub2 (meh) that every one
92 can handle.
93
94 Sure gentoo gives you choices but you have to be ready to handle them, so
95 perhaps the first install is not the right one for experimenting?
98 > as well as valid install links
99 > like sabayon for gentoo(ish) systemd
100 > like calculate-linus for gentoo(ish)openrc
101 > like pentoo for gentoo-penetration systems
102 > like zentoo for gentoo CI systems
103 > Like funtoo as an option install
104 > like gentooliveUSB for a gentoo + persistence experience.
105
106 The goal should be to get people to come to gentoo-gentoo, not to go
107 elsewhere.
110 > gentoo installs, so he is one of those guys that can single-handedly
111 > solve this crisis:
112
113 I actually don't feel that there is any crisis. The only time I've ever
114 had problems with the install was when I decided to not follow the
115 handbook. Most people should just stick to the handbook and learn.
116 Experiment once they know what they're dealing with.
117
118 I think an einstein quote is relevant here:
119
120 Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.
121
122 The current install procedure is pretty much as simple as can be, once you
123 think about it.