From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Get off my lawn?
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 09:44:33
1 On Saturday 17 January 2015 07:59:18 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 17/01/2015 03:35, Philip Webb wrote:
3 > > 150116 walt wrote:
4 > >> I'd love to see a bar-chart of the age distribution of gentoo devs
5 > >> & compare it to a chart of the people who hang out in this mailing list
6 > >> :)>
7 > > New devs usually seem to describe themselves as
8 > > "I live in a town in Germany with my wife & 2-year-old daughter ;
9 > > I am finishing my MSc in computer science ;
10 > > my hobbies are playing the guitar & riding my mountain bike".
11 > >
12 > > OTOH I suspect most of us here starting computing with punched cards ...
13 >
14 > Can't say I had that pleasure :-)
15 >
16 > I did start with teletype terminals, punched paper tape and a Sinclair
17 > Research Mk14 though!
18
19 Mine was ASR33 & KSR35 (even went on the two-day maintenance course for
20 those), 24-bit Ferrranti Argus 500, 8-hole tape, 16KB core store and 2MB
21 disk. That was in closed-loop control of the reactors of an AGR power
22 station! 40 years ago and hardly seems a day.
25 Rgds
26 Peter.