From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: USE flags handling
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 08:25:44
1 On 31/07/2014 09:23, Dale wrote:
2 > Walter Dnes wrote:
3 >> On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 04:41:24AM +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote
4 >>
5 >>> I occasionally tried razorqt or enlightenment or twm...
6 >>> and yeah, they load quickly. And then they are all useless for me.
7 >> I run ICEWM with 9 work areas dedicated to specific "tasks" or forums.
8 >> A desktop environment doesn't provide me that much extra functionality.
9 >> I suppose some of my inertia is due to starting to use ICEWM and *BOX
10 >> back when I had a Dell with 256 megabytes of RAM and an 8-megabyte ATI
11 >> video card. That machine lasted for 7 years or so. My current one is
12 >> over 6 years old.
15 > On a rig that has limited resources, you are doing what I would do as
16 > well, outside the USE="-*" thing. :-D I would use Fluxbox or some
17 > other very light GUI. I'd keep it simple so that when I click
18 > something, I don't have to go get a drink while I am waiting. And in
19 > some cases, have plenty of time to drink it as well.
20 >
21 > What a person uses has to be based on what it is being used on and what
22 > the user expects. All about balance.
26 There's a huge difference between recognizing a resource-constrained
27 machine and acting appropriately on the one hand, and ranting about
28 bloat on the other.
29
30 One usually involves sensible thought, the other usually doesn't.
35 Alan McKinnon
36 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com