From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: USE flags handling
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 07:23:48
1 Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 04:41:24AM +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote
3 >
4 >> I occasionally tried razorqt or enlightenment or twm...
5 >> and yeah, they load quickly. And then they are all useless for me.
6 > I run ICEWM with 9 work areas dedicated to specific "tasks" or forums.
7 > A desktop environment doesn't provide me that much extra functionality.
8 > I suppose some of my inertia is due to starting to use ICEWM and *BOX
9 > back when I had a Dell with 256 megabytes of RAM and an 8-megabyte ATI
10 > video card. That machine lasted for 7 years or so. My current one is
11 > over 6 years old.
14 On a rig that has limited resources, you are doing what I would do as
15 well, outside the USE="-*" thing. :-D I would use Fluxbox or some
16 other very light GUI. I'd keep it simple so that when I click
17 something, I don't have to go get a drink while I am waiting. And in
18 some cases, have plenty of time to drink it as well.
19
20 What a person uses has to be based on what it is being used on and what
21 the user expects. All about balance.
22
23 Dale
24