From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: viewing .m4v files with totem
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 02:24:23
1 walt <w41ter@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On 07/11/2010 07:42 PM, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
4 >
5 >> ajglap video # file Game_Theory_Lect_20_s.*
6 >> Game_Theory_Lect_20_s.avi: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 320 x 240, ~30 fps, video: FFMpeg MPEG-4, audio: MPEG-1 Layer 1 or 2 (stereo, 44100 Hz)
7 >
8 > Okay, the above is the avi file you made by using ffmpeg to conver the m4v
9 > file below, right?
10
11 Correct.
12
13 >> Game_Theory_Lect_20_s.m4v: ISO Media, MPEG v4 system, iTunes AVC-LC
14 >
15 > I had no idea what the ISO Media format is, so I read about it here:
16 >
17 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_base_media_file_format
18 >
19 > Now I know almost as much as I knew before :p
20 >
21 > This excerpt seems significant to me, however: "ISO base media file format
22 > is directly based on Apple’s QuickTime container format". That makes sense
23 > because iTunes is mentioned in the same breath as ISO Media.
24 >
25 > My theory is that Steve Jobs is now riding high and wants to displace M$
26 > as the 800-pound-standards-dictating gorilla.
27 >
28 > Apple has always been smarter than M$, so I'd rather see Apple dictating
29 > standards, but dictators are still dictators, and Jobs is as ferociously
30 > closed-shop as Gates and Ballmer ever were. (When is google going to
31 > publish an extensible open-source multimedia format? Android almost forces
32 > them to do it, IMHO.)
33 >
34 >> What does totem say when you play your m4v file?
35 >>
36 >> gottlieb@ajglap /a/video $ totem Game_Theory_Lect_20_s.m4v
37 >> bt_audio_service_open: connect() failed: Connection refused (111)
38 >
39 > I haven't a clue what that means, unless maybe any multimedia file
40 > from iTunes wants to authenticate with an iTunes server before the
41 > file can be played? I have no idea.
42 >
43 > Anyone else?
44
45 This file is a freebee lecture from the teaching company (I buy many of
46 their lectures, but only the audio versions, which are straight mp3).
47
48 I think the msg is
49
50 1. You can play some m4v's.
51 2. This particular m4v involves iTunes (I assume other m4v's, in
52 particular the ones you can watch with totem) do not involve iTunes.
53
54 totem can't play it but ffmpeg can convert it (poorly).
55
56 Perhaps when the heat spell is over and I can justify putting on the AC
57 in my NYU office, I will re-power-on the desktop there, and put the files on
58 the internet. Then I could send a bug to bugs.gentoo.org.
59
60 thanks again for your help.
61 allan