From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: viewing .m4v files with totem
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 01:10:33
1 On 07/11/2010 07:42 PM, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
2
3 > ajglap video # file Game_Theory_Lect_20_s.*
4 > Game_Theory_Lect_20_s.avi: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 320 x 240, ~30 fps, video: FFMpeg MPEG-4, audio: MPEG-1 Layer 1 or 2 (stereo, 44100 Hz)
5
6 Okay, the above is the avi file you made by using ffmpeg to conver the m4v
7 file below, right?
8
9 > Game_Theory_Lect_20_s.m4v: ISO Media, MPEG v4 system, iTunes AVC-LC
10
11 I had no idea what the ISO Media format is, so I read about it here:
12
13 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_base_media_file_format
14
15 Now I know almost as much as I knew before :p
16
17 This excerpt seems significant to me, however: "ISO base media file format
18 is directly based on Apple’s QuickTime container format". That makes sense
19 because iTunes is mentioned in the same breath as ISO Media.
20
21 My theory is that Steve Jobs is now riding high and wants to displace M$
22 as the 800-pound-standards-dictating gorilla.
23
24 Apple has always been smarter than M$, so I'd rather see Apple dictating
25 standards, but dictators are still dictators, and Jobs is as ferociously
26 closed-shop as Gates and Ballmer ever were. (When is google going to
27 publish an extensible open-source multimedia format? Android almost forces
28 them to do it, IMHO.)
29
30 > What does totem say when you play your m4v file?
31 >
32 > gottlieb@ajglap /a/video $ totem Game_Theory_Lect_20_s.m4v
33 > bt_audio_service_open: connect() failed: Connection refused (111)
34
35 I haven't a clue what that means, unless maybe any multimedia file
36 from iTunes wants to authenticate with an iTunes server before the
37 file can be played? I have no idea.
38
39 Anyone else?