From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] switch from gnome/systemd to xfce/openrc borked my system
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2019 15:39:30
1 On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 10:42 AM Raffaele Belardi
2 <raffaele.belardi@××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > > Next time you do something like this, keep in mind that Gnome and xfce
6 > > can co-exist on the same system, and so can openrc and systemd.
7 >
8 > Good point, I did not know, in particular for the init systems I thought it was exactly
9 > the opposite.
12 The only area of incompatibility I'm aware of are the
13 sysvinit-compatibility links. Both sysvinit and systemd provide
14 implementations of common utilities like poweroff, halt, reboot,
15 telinit, and so on. There is also init itself.
16
17 The versions that come with sysvinit are compatible with both sysvinit
18 and systemd. If you don't have sysvinit then systemd can supply
19 these. Systemd itself doesn't require these utilities but they are
20 useful both for compatibility and convenience. (ie "systemctl
21 poweroff" works fine, as does sending the command via dbus, but
22 scripts or sysadmins might prefer to be able to just run "poweroff").
23 The versions of these supplied by systemd are not compatible with
24 sysvinit.
25
26 A USE flag toggles whether systemd installs these utilities. If it
27 does then it blocks sysvinit. So, you just have to switch that USE
28 flag to install the two in parallel. If you don't have systemd
29 install "init" then you do need to have a kernel command line to
30 launch systemd directly as init.
31
32 Offhand I think that is really the only conflict between the two.
33 Systemd doesn't use anything but those compatibility utils from
34 sysvinit but it doesn't mind them being around, and nothing in
35 sysvinit/openrc should even notice that systemd is installed.
36
37 As long as you set the USE flag appropriately you can dual-boot
38 between the two very easily. The only gotcha is keeping all your
39 configs up-to-date as openrc and systemd store things in different
40 places. When you install systemd it takes a snapshot of many of your
41 openrc settings but that is a one-time operation. Some of those
42 settings are hard to change if systemd isn't running as PID 1 - I
43 think the wiki has instructions for how to do this.
46 Rich