From: Raffaele Belardi <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] switch from gnome/systemd to xfce/openrc borked my system
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2019 14:42:13
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > Next time you do something like this, keep in mind that Gnome and xfce
3 > can co-exist on the same system, and so can openrc and systemd.
4
5 Good point, I did not know, in particular for the init systems I thought it was exactly
6 the opposite.
7
8 > At this point you're probably just going to want to troubleshoot what
9 > you are left with, though you could consider reverting back to your
10 > old config and starting over if you have backups/etc.
11
12 Backups? I'm a software developer, I can't afford spending time making backups (just kidding).
13 At this point of the boot process the system did very few things, the problem should be
14 relatively easy to trace so I refuse to give up. Long nights ahead.
15
16 > I imagine that not many people move from systemd to openrc, since the
17 > latter is basically the default on Gentoo already. If I were going to
18 > migrate a working system between the two I would probably do it
19 > stepwise:
20
21 Ha, this is the HOWTO I was looking for yesterday! Oh well, it'll be for next time.
22
23 > Now, on a new install or a host I didn't care so much about uptime for
24 > I'd probably do it your way, and just revert to a backup. In a
25
26 Not really production environment but I have to fix it before the other users (the kids)
27 come back from vacation or my reputation will quickly sink!
28
29 raffaele