From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I update *every* ebuild?
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 09:46:24
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 03:17:06 -0600, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> What Bruce was saying is this. When you use --ask, you can look at the
5 >> output of what packages are going to be emerged, what USE flags are
6 >> enabled/disabled/changed and other information that could make a person
7 >> change a setting all before anything is done. If emerge is doing to
8 >> much, to little or some other unwanted thing, you can change it.
9 >
10 > I understand that, but it is not relevant to my point. Using -N includes
11 > packages that do not need emerging. Either you let them emerge or you
12 > filter them out manually, either way is inefficient. Particularly the
13 > manual filtering as they will show up again on the next run.
14 >
15 > Bruce also posted a chained alias he uses, so having to interrupt the
16 > process top manually select packages means running the rest of the
17 > commands manually too. Like Alan says, trust portage to know your system,
18 > let it make the first decision before you review it with --ask.
19 >
20 > The option is there, I find it useful. I really don't care who else uses
21 > itWhat Bruce was saying is this. When you use --ask, you can look at the
22 > output of what packages are going to be emerged, what USE flags are
23 > enabled/disabled/changed and other information that could make a person
24 > change a setting all before anything is done. If emerge is doing to
25 > much, to little or some other unwanted thing, you can change it.
26 > , but I thought I'd mention it in came anyone still using its shotgun
27 > predecessor found the information useful. I am not trying to persuade
28 > anyone else to use it and you won't persuade me to stop using it, neither
29 > is the point of the post.
30 >
31 > It's just occurred to me as I was about to hit Send. If you respond to
32 > emerge --ask with n, it still returns success, so using that in the
33 > middle of a chin of commands is not much help unless you use Ctrl-C
34 > instead of n.
38 Why do you say that -N will compile packages that don't need it? If a
39 USE flags is added, changed or whatever, I want that change to be seen
40 and the package to be recompiled. It could very well affect how the
41 package works or some feature.
42
43 I can see the point on the long command tho. About the longest I get is
44 eix-sync && emerge -uvaDN world. That's about it. I like to type in
45 anything else that needs to be dealt with. As you know, I run into
46 enough problems with upgrades already. LOL
47
48 Oh, eudev switch went pretty well. I even found a roach in dracut. It
49 seems dracut had a hard dependency on udev itself and not the virtual
50 udev. Now dracut is gone.
51
52 Dale
53
57 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
58 how you interpreted my words!