From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I update *every* ebuild?
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 09:28:13
1 On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 03:17:06 -0600, Dale wrote:
2
3 > What Bruce was saying is this. When you use --ask, you can look at the
4 > output of what packages are going to be emerged, what USE flags are
5 > enabled/disabled/changed and other information that could make a person
6 > change a setting all before anything is done. If emerge is doing to
7 > much, to little or some other unwanted thing, you can change it.
8
9 I understand that, but it is not relevant to my point. Using -N includes
10 packages that do not need emerging. Either you let them emerge or you
11 filter them out manually, either way is inefficient. Particularly the
12 manual filtering as they will show up again on the next run.
13
14 Bruce also posted a chained alias he uses, so having to interrupt the
15 process top manually select packages means running the rest of the
16 commands manually too. Like Alan says, trust portage to know your system,
17 let it make the first decision before you review it with --ask.
18
19 The option is there, I find it useful. I really don't care who else uses
20 itWhat Bruce was saying is this. When you use --ask, you can look at the
21 output of what packages are going to be emerged, what USE flags are
22 enabled/disabled/changed and other information that could make a person
23 change a setting all before anything is done. If emerge is doing to
24 much, to little or some other unwanted thing, you can change it.
25 , but I thought I'd mention it in came anyone still using its shotgun
26 predecessor found the information useful. I am not trying to persuade
27 anyone else to use it and you won't persuade me to stop using it, neither
28 is the point of the post.
29
30 It's just occurred to me as I was about to hit Send. If you respond to
31 emerge --ask with n, it still returns success, so using that in the
32 middle of a chin of commands is not much help unless you use Ctrl-C
33 instead of n.
37 Neil Bothwick
38
39 I doubt therefore I might be.